RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Carbon monoxide alarm sounded and continued for at least 45…

Carbon monoxide alarm sounded...

Carbon monoxide alarm sounded and continued for at least 45 minutes after we opened the door to our RV. Our RV is a 2018 and this is our first trip in this coach. What can cause this. Is there a recall on this Cherokee Artic Wolf. I smelled an odor, but my husband did not.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Is your battery fully charged?

Are you speaking of the detector? How do we check?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

We simply opened the door to air it out. We are still in our pajamas. This started at 5:00 am central time. There is an unfamiliar smell.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just that we're very worried.

4/2/2019
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Sorry to hear you are having issues with the alarm going off.

Please give me a few mins to type a response.

Thanks, Robert

Would a low propane cause improper or incomplete burn resulting in the presence of carbon monoxide? My husband turned on a new tank.Can you please provide a written response?

The key hear is if you are actually smelling something. The Carbon monoxide/LP detector can go off for a few reasons, one would be if you have low DC battery voltage, they are sensitive to voltage and can go off if the voltage gets below 10 volts or so. Make sure the voltage is good.

You mentioned you had a smell that you were not familiar with. This could be propane, as they put an additive in that and propane will sink to the floor and become stagnant smell in the lower cabinets near the floor, if it smells stronger then I would have the RV looked at. Sometimes the exhaust from running the LP appliances can set the detector off as well if it was getting inside the RV. IF this is a brand new unit and you have not used the heater yet sometimes dust and dirt left over from production can burn off and cause a smell that might trip the detector.

I would air everything out really good and then monitor the situation, if the alarm comes back I would have it looked at.

Possibly on the propane if the appliances were left on and you did not realize you had low pressure the appliance would stop due to low pressure but if a valve was open to say the stove the LP would continue to bleed out.

Hope this helps out.

Robert

The RV is new, but we have used the heater through this (our first) excursion.

AT this point what I would do is get the RV aired out and the alarm to stop and then monitor the situation, if the alarm comes back on I would have it looked. I just wanted to give you all the possible scenarios of what I have seen over the years, I understand that you may have used the heater before.

Robert

We are plugged in at an RV park. My husband is checking fuses.

Not going to be a fuse issue. The detector can go off if the voltage was low in the RV. The key here is you had a smell that you were unfamiliar with. That can be caused from LP leaking, exhaust from one of the appliances getting into the RV, if it is an ammonia smell that would indicate a cooling unit rupture on the fridge. I can not smell what you are smelling so hard for me to say what it is. Aerosol and even dog food put near the detector can set them off.

Robert

Sorry, one last question. Could a low level of propane or an empty propane bottle be the cause? The furnace continued to try to run on the empty propane bottle.

Sure if the furnace was trying to light off what would happen is the gas valve would open up and whatever LP was left in the lines would come out un-burned and you would get a smell, probably that is what happened here and it should be OK if you air everything out and the alarm stops.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a star rating on the page.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Thank you for your help.

No problem at all.

Have a great day.

Robert