RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2015 Jayco precept ul30. Yesterday i ran out of…

Customer Question
I have a 2015...

I have a 2015 Jayco precept ul30. Yesterday i ran out of propane so went and got the tank filled. Overnight my heater quit working and can’t get it to come back on. Tankless hot water is working.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked to make sure the thermostat is working?

Thermostat is showing an accurate temp for the interior of the motor home

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your '15 RV?

Jayco precept 31ul

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Filled the tank with propane and heater was kicking on and off fine when we went to bed Today it’s not I’ve checked fuses they are not blown

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Can you tell me how this works

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: RV
3/3/2019
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Sorry to hear you are having issues with the furnace.

When you say it will not come on, what happens when you turn the thermostat ON and raise the temp? Does the blower motor come on at all? IF the blower motor comes on can you hear the electrode sparking at all?

What is the make and model of the furnace?

Robert

I don’t know anything about the furnace separate from the motor home itself

I am unable to do a call at this time.

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks. Robert

Yesterday the propeane tank was emptyI drove to an RV Park and had it filled. The heater was working fine when we went to bed but overnight it stopped and I’m unable to get it to kick back in. My tankless hot water heater Is working

IT depends if the fan for the furnace is coming on or not. IF the fan is NOT coming on then it is going to be a thermostat problem, or possibly the circuit board on the furnace is the issues, you would need to check for voltage at the circuit board to see if the thermostat is sending power to it. IF the fan is not coming on it is not going to be a propane problem.

IF the fan IS coming on and you can hear the electrode sparking then it can be a propane issue, go to the propane tank and shut the valve and SLOWLY open it back up sometimes if the valve is opened to fast the regulator might lock up and you may not get the proper pressure, shut the valve slowly open it up and then start the stove burners for about 5 mins and then try the furnace again. Once again as soon as you turn the thermostat ON and raise the temp on the thermostat the fan should kick regardless if you were out of propane.

Please feel free to follow up with me as needed on this.

Robert

If I move the thermostat from heat to off and back to heat the blower comes on but cold air comes outIf I move the thermostat from heat to off and back to heat the blower comes on but cold air comes out

IF the blower is coming on listen for a single click, that would be the gas solenoid valve and then you should hear the electrode sparking. IF needed go outside and listen where the intake and exhaust are located. Very important to know if it is sparking or not.

Robert

The stove will come on

Robert

I can bear something trying to clickSounds like it’s under bedroom closetWhere would the intake and exhaust be locatedI hear what sounds like something trying to spark

OK

Outside you would feel the air coming out the exhaust when the blower motor is ON. Some RV'S have an access panel with a round port where the exhaust comes out and others do not just a round intake and exhaust port.

IF it is in fact sparking many things can be ruled out, it is not going to be a fuse or low battery voltage as it is sparking Go to the LP tank and shut the valve and then slowly open it back up sometimes if the valve on the tank is opened to fast the regulator can lock up and you may not get full pressure, each appliance can act differently if the LP pressure was low. Shut the valve slowly open it back up then run the burners on the stove for a few mins. IF you still have the same issue I would have a tech come out and look could be the circuit board on the furnace and a good shop or tech will have a board tester to see if it is the problem. Could also have air in the lines as well and normally if that is the case it would take many tries or you have to bleed the air out but I would have a tech do that. IF heat is an issue and you have AC power available I might get a small portable heater until you can have this looked at.

Robert

How would I locate someone to come look at ?I am away from home I will need to drive it home today. I’ll just put it in the shop. Thanks for trying to help me. It’s my first time alone in this motor home just myself and my 12 year old daughter. Weekend from hell.

Sorry to hear you did not have a great experience camping and you are really limited on what you can do on this.

Since the furnace is trying to come on it is not something as simple as a fuse. Best to have a tech look at it.

I do try my best with each customer and it is a challenger online, thanks for recognizing that.

Try and have a good day.... Robert