RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My refrigerator is freezing evrrything. There's no control,

Hello, my refrigerator...

Hello, my refrigerator is freezing evrrything. There's no control, it's set at the factory. It has worked fine until recently. Anything that I can do -

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2003 Damon Intruder 38 1/2 feet with Triton engine

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

Automatic transmission with 55,000 plush

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

This is the refrigerator and there are no manual contrOlson to adjust the temperature

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's all I can tell

2/20/2019
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Do you have the make and model of the fridge? IF not that is OK I am fairly certain I know which component is causing the issue.

Robert

I don't have the make and model with me

No problem at all, I can explain what the most likely cause on this.

Please give me a few mins to type a response.

Robert

When the box is freezing everything the most likely cause is the thermistor. The thermistor sits inside the back of the fridge on a fin. On the Dometics you adjust the thermistor by sliding a cover up and down the fin, the thermistor is under the plastic cover. If you want it warmer you slide it down on the fin, if you want it colder you slide it up near the top. On the Dometic's the thermistor will plug into the circuit board under the outside access panel, it is the only two wire connector on the board. You want to make sure it did not come out of the connector. These thermistor's are designed to put the fridge into a FULL cooling cycle when they fail this is so the food in the box will not spoil.

IF you have a Norcold the thermistor connector is part of the light inside the fridge, two wires go to the light fixture and the other two wires go to the thermistor which is clipped to the fin in the box.

Normally 9 out of 10 times when the box is freezing the thermistor is the problem. IT can be ohmed out with a volt meter but I would need to know the exact model number to give you the specs on that.

IF you want to get back to me that is fine, I am around daily and respond when I can.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic