RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I just purchased (yesterday) a 2010 Forest River Ultra Lite…

Customer Question
I just purchased (yesterday)...

I just purchased (yesterday) a 2010 Forest River Ultra Lite trailer with one slide

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

We replaced the rod in the water heater because what was in there had corroded to the very middle line I'm having water heater issues

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '10 Forest River?

Ultra Lite

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Rockwood 2604

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just setting up for the first time--all the tanks were emptied before transport--how do I know if I've gotten the hot water tank refilled? the hot water heater is supposed to be electric and propane. When turning the water heater on with the switch for propane I get the reset light. when I went outside to look at the unit, everything looked fine, but I don't want to run it on propane right now.

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: RV
2/7/2019
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Sorry to hear you are having issues with the water heater, I can help you on this.

To start off what is the make and model of the water heater? Should be a sticker under the outside access panel.

Thank you, Robert

I am not at the RV at the moment-- I am at work as an elementary teacher. The model is an electric/propane.

OK

Please give me several mins for me to type a response, I can get you going in the right direction and you can always respond back later if needed, by the way thank you for what you do I have three children and have lots of respect for teachers.

It will take me several mins to type out a response.

Thanks. Robert

No worries--I have 36 third graders to whom I am teaching art, so I am juggling at the moment. And thanks!

The water heater is going to be an Atwood Or Suburban. On the Atwood's the circuit board is in plan view under the outside access panel, on the Suburban's the circuit board is on the side of the water heater not in view.

You asked about the water in the tank. On the back side of the water heater you should have some valves, this is so you can bypass the water heater when you winterize it. Most will have a hot, cold and bypass. The hot and cold should be open or valve handle running with the pipe, the bypass should be closed or valve handle against the pipe. You have to go opposite of the outside access panel so this means you have to go inside the RV to that area and pull some drawers or a false panel to get at the valves.

IF the valves are in the proper position then water should be going into the tank, outside you will see a brass pressure relief valve pull up on that and make sure you have water. When you fill the water heater you should also open a faucet up to expel the air.

The electric side.... Many water heaters will in fact have an AC heating element it when the switch is turned on it will heat the water, you must be plugged into AC power for that to work. On the Atwood's the switch is inside the RV and you may have a dual switch one for LP and one for AC, or the AC switch could be away from the other switch but it should be marked. The breaker in the main breaker panel also needs to be ON and it will take a good 40 mins for the water to heat up, it is not the same as using it on LP, takes a long time to heat the water.

On the Suburbans there is a hidden switch outside under the access panel to the lower left corner, that switch has to be ON for it to work on AC power.

LP faulting. IF it is an Atwood go to the outside access panel and look for a brown wire, on the wire is a clear plastic shield, under the shield is a small metal link that looks like a diode, make sure that it did not blow, if it is blown the water heater will not spark and you will get the fault. IF it is a Suburban look for a raised black plastic box with two circles on it, gently push in where the circles are, that is the reset for the suburban.

You also could have a circuit board problem, locate the board, pull the connector on the board and clean the contacts with a pencil eraser, sometimes this is a weak link.

I know it is allot to take in, so if you want to check things out and get back to me that is fine, also the company offers a phone service for an added fee, you are not obligated to do that but I would be more then happy to talk to you on the phone at a time that works for you, I am around daily and respond when I can.

Have a good day. Robert

I'm printing this out right now to take with me to walk through it this afternoon. I am believing it is a Surburban, because there is no interior AC switch where the panels are. Thank you for the help. I am a first time RVr and will be living in mine full-time to shorten my commute to school.

Yes, please let me know if you need more help later. I am around daily and respond when I can, sometimes I am helping others or just doing stuff with my kids, I am available most hours of the day and weekends.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page.

Thanks, Robert