RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a norcold 2118. A week or so it started beeping lo…

Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a norcold 2118. A week or so it started beeping lo DC. I'm on 50a shoreline and bats are charged. We would turn fridge off disconnect all power the reverse. Stopped beeping for a while. Happened a couple times over past week. Yesterday started beeping lo ac so we switched to LP. Today got home from work and disconnected recall and control box to check fuses and all. Reconnected al back correctly(took pics beforehand). Applied power back to rv and lp tried to ignite then didnt. Now Li OP error beep and 1 flash per second on recall box. Fridge dead except light.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the manual yet? Most vehicles have two fuse panels.

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2016 keystone raptor 352s

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, checked fuses and voltage.

2/6/2019
RV Mechanic: Blake P, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Blake P
Blake P, RV Mechanic

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I am the RV tech that will be helping you today. Please allow me a few minutes to type a response.

The code Li OP, needs to be handled with some caution. The code requires caution due to the nature of the Norcold recall black box. These black box can false trip, or if they do trip due to overheat, there is a dangerous situation that may need to be addressed.

This figure shows how to reset the Norcold black box. These recall kits can be reset if there is a fridge off or not working situation. If your fridge is off, the first step is to see if the red LED is turned on? If so, Norcold recommends paying a service technician to inspect your system for leaks. If you are camping remote, and you feel comfortable checking for leaks on your cooling unit you can do so by smelling for ammonia, and looking for yellow staining on the back of the fridge. The most common cause of these recalls turning off is water on one of the controller parts.

I just want to make sure I was clear on the description of the problem, this code is caused by a fridge overheat situation, and could be dangerous. If you are uncomfortable working on this yourself I strongly suggest bringing the unit to a certified repair center.

I know the fridge wasnt over heated it was pretty cold up in the coil area. And was off for about 30 min prior to plugging recall box back in. I just did a temp bypass of the recall box to see if the fridge would lite up. It came up fine on ac but kept reading lo DC when just on the batteries. Voltage at the control box is reading 13.9. Forgot to check it on Lp. Will try to bypass again and do that tomorrow. Could the control box and recall be bad?Ps this is utah. Temps under 40 today.

Hi, by what you are saying it sounds like it could be the control box itself that has malfunctioned. You seem to be having an issue where you are getting good voltage but the board does not recognize it. Double check your power in, and most importantly your ground connections. You may want to hook the fridge board power directly to a charged 12v auxiliary battery. If the code goes away when hooked to an auxiliary battery you have a fridge wiring problem. If the code reappears the circuit board will need to be replaced. I hope this helps you, if you have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask. There is no time limit on responses to this question. Have a great day!

Blake

I ordered a new power control board. it arrived today. I will respond back after I install it later and tell you the results.

OK please let me know how it goes, either way. Were you able to double check your 12v power in, and your ground connections as well? If not, double check those before installing the new board, once electronics are installed, usually the seller will not take them back. I wouldn't want you to install the board only to find out that there was a power supply problem instead.

Where is the best place to check the voltage? Is it the bottom right corner where it is is labeled "GND & 12VDC" on the control box. Or is it the power from the recall unit. The way have tested is, VM connected to the 12vdc and gnd while the shoreline is connected and batteries connected. When I do I get 13.9. While its connected to the board. When I have someone power on the unit I can here clicking going back and forth between the control box and recall box at about 15 seconds it stops and recall box starts flashing 1 time per second. My wife said she saw LO DC flash about 2x before the Li OP showed up and the recall started flashing. Same with propane. About 15 seconds from fridge power button. Propane starts up, ignites, runs for a few seconds while the boxes are clicking back and forth then about the 15 sec mark it shuts off and the recall box starts flashing. Hope that is good info?Also from above.. no ammonia and no yellow.

Okay, those are good test that you did thank you for doing that. If I am correct the 12-volt power runs from the coach into the recall box and from the recalbox runs out to the circuit board. I think what you should try first is bypassing the recalbox, there should only be two wires on there one a power end and one a power out. Tried Jumper in this and trying to test again if you come up with the same results you will need to replace your circuit board if the fridge now works you have a problem in your recall control box.

Will do. FREEZING COLD so may take a day or so to test.

No problem at all, please take your time!

On the 2nd picture where do the red, green and blue wires run?

Soup is all original wiring I take pictures before o unplug stuff so I know where to plug back in

Ok, that makes much more sense. I think changing your circuit board will solve the problem for you. You can try jumping the recall board by connecting the red and blue. If that does not work, you will need to replace the main board.

Can you explain jumping recall board.With red and blue

All you need to do is connect the red and blue wires together. You could use something as simple as a paperclip.

I will try that tomorrow

Ok! Let me know how that goes either way. Have a great day!

Blake

Just to clarify.. disconnect red/blue from recall box and connect them together?

Exactly!

further testing. I shut down shore power and with all our lights on 13.3 goes to 11.1v at the power box. I jumped and bypassed the recall box as instructed. With AC connected fridge comes on and starts to work fine on both AC and Propane. With AC off, still jumped, running on 12v DC system, fridge comes on but blinks "LO DC" I have not yet tried connecting a battery straight to the board but will do so this afternoon.

OK, it sounds to me like you have a weak battey. If the fridge is operating correctly when plugged in and the recall box is jumped, then the recall box will need to be replaced. It also means aside from the recall box, the fridge is working correctly. When your voltage drops if unplugged, it tells me the battery voltage itself is low. Check your house battery voltage when unplugged, it will most likely be at the 11.1V as well. This means your battery is not taking a charge and will need to be replaced.

Possible conclusion... I connected a good 12v battery with the Recall box in line. Still get the Ti OP error. Jumped the recall box and fridge works fine. Interstate DC batteries about 8 mos old seem to be shot not holding a charge. Taking them back to costco. I am POSITIVE the recall box is shot. I have the fridge jumped and running right now at high of 37 low of 18. Now the question is to order the ARP fridge protect instead since we are living the 5th Wheel and cannot take it to a dealer for them to say yes it's the Recall box and order a new one? Any suggestions? Thanks again for all your help.
Great diagnostics! I would 100% agree with your conclusion, as well as your plan of action to repair the problem. I wouldn't bother contacting Norcold for a new box, they will not want to send one out. I think some new batteries and the ARP box will get you fixed up in the fastest and best manner. I'm so glad you found the problem! Thank you for taking the time to talk to me.
Blake P
Blake P, RV Mechanic
Thanks for your help and direction Blake. A pleasure working with you.
You as well! Have a great day and safe camping!