RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My 4 door, 12 cubic foot frig refuses to run on AC. Coach is…

My 4 door, 12...

My 4 door, 12 cubic foot frig refuses to run on AC. Coach is plugged into 50 amp service and everything else seems to function properly. It is functioning well, cooling properly in 84F exterior temps. Any clues?

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Since we arrived here in Florida on Jan 1st.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, if I can with limited tools.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I had a propane service done on the coach just before leaving home in Ontario and all was reported okay.

1/3/2019
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

IN order to help you out on this I will need the make and model number of the fridge.

Also are you saying it is defaulting to LP? Meaning you are trying to run it on AC power but it is going to LP? OR it appears to be working and not cooling on AC power ONLY?

Thanks. Robert

Norcld 1211IM ser #10213241 Yes it is defaulting to LP. Runs great in propane but I'd rather use AC

IF the fridge is defaulting to LP and not working on AC power the first step is to check the outlet the fridge is plugged into to make sure it has voltage. The fridge turns on with DC power not AC power so if the outlet did not have voltage it would default to LP. IF the outlet has power leave it unplugged, under the outside access panel you will see a circuit board, under the cover for the circuit board are some fuses, one fuse is for AC power and one for DC power. If the AC fuse was blown then it would default to LP. Make sure the cord is unplugged, you do not want to touch that fuse when it is plugged in.

IF you want to check out the outlet and the fuse on the board and get back to me we can continue on possible problems on this.

Hope this helps you out.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
I have printed your response and will fo at it tomorrow in the light. Thanks for now!

No problem at all, I am around daily and respond when I can....

Have a good evening. Robert

I replaced the 8A 250V fuse (which was blown) with a 10A microwave oven fuse that I found at ACE hardware. We'ree staying in Frostproof, FL and this closest RV service I know of is Stewarts, Avon Park, FL about 15 miles away. There seems to be an inconsistency between the owner's manual I have and the online Norcold manual for the 1211IM series frig. The online info indicates a 5 amp fuse and the one in my frig was an 8 amp that I know to be original as I am the original owner and no one has been inside that cover before. Do I have a correct/acceptable replacement fuse? It is the correct dia. and length but has a grey material where the glass housing was on the original.
Did a diagnostic test and found the following: screen 6 -Er; screen 7 DC voltage normal; screen 8 no AC power to AC heater; screen 0 AC voltage lower than 108 volts.
I'll wait for your response before I do an ohm test of the two AC heater elements. I assume that all power to the frig should be disconnected to do the ohm test?
There is no urgency here as the frig works great (just like it always has) on propane. I would just rather use the AC power I am also paying for rather than propane.
Thanks!

The AC fuse is a 8 amp glass fuse and the DC fuse is a 5 amp blade style fuse. You really do not want to put an over-sized 10 amp fuse on the board as it is not the correct rating for the circuitry, meaning if something was to happen you could damage the board or melt wires, so I might contact that RV place near you and see if they have the proper fuse. I can not tell you to use a 10 amp fuse. Once you get the proper fuse see if it still defaults to LP if so let me know, if it does not default to LP give it at least 3 hours to see if the box cools for you.

Hope this helps. Robert