RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

2013 Newmar Canyon Star. Atwood Furnace S/N 2835566. Lat…

2013 Newmar Canyon Star...

2013 Newmar Canyon Star. Atwood Furnace S/N(###) ###-#### Lat night I went to bed with thermostat set at 64 degrees woke was laying in bed and heard the blower come on as usual and counted the 10 seconds the furnace usually ignites and starts blowing nice hot air. Well after the 10 seconds I did not hear the furnace ignite. The blower shut off and fell back asleep. woke up at 4 am and I could tell it was way colder than 64 degrees I got out of bed and checked the thermostat and I had an E-1 error code (No Communication) so I turned off the thermostat for about 2 hours and turned it back on to see if it had reset it did not.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you seen this code before? Have you tried a hard reset?

I had this issue with my #2 A/C in the summer and I replaces the short section of comms cable (Phone like connection) going to the circuit board and no problem since. The furnace worked great all last winter and was working fine for the last couple of months until last night.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Canyon yourself? What have you tried so far?

If I am capable. Nothing yet. I'm trying to find You tube videos on the matter. Called a mobile RV tech and left a message. I live in it fulltime so I hate to have to pack it all up and take it somewhere if I can avoid it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I've told you everything I know

Is anyone there??
12/17/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Click HERE and have a look at the reset, if you have not done so turn off the DC power and AC power for 20 mins, turning off the thermostat will not work because the circuit board in the AC unit powers the thermostat. Disconnect the battery and unplug from power for 20 mins and see if it resets.

IF it will not reset I would check both ends of the thermostat, it is a RJ-11 cable make sure it did not come loose or has any moisture where it plugs in on the thermostat or at the board on the AC unit, if you unplug it normally you have to do the reset again.

Hope this helps some. Robert

This is,a furnace not A/C unit. And I believe it runs off of A/C power though I'm not 100% sure.

I understand that, the furnace is controlled through the thermostat via the board inside the AC unit. The E1 is loss of communication it could be the thermostat or circuit board inside the AC unit. SO the board inside the AC unit sends power to the thermostat and back to the furnace. The furnace and circuit board run off of DC power.

Robert

Also make sure you have good DC voltage, make sure the battery voltage did not drop below 11.5 volts.

Robert

Ok, I'm going to call you in about an hour. I'm not at my coach

I may or may not be available in one hour. Try and disconnect the battery for 20 mins and unplug the cord. Make sure the battery voltage is above 11.5 volts.

Robert

I have 6 house batteries in my cochlear and I'm hooked up to 50amp shore power. What plague are you referring to?Can I just secure the battery switch above the door and secure circuit breakers?

Yes that should work. ( I was talking about the 50 amp cord you plug in)

Robert

What cord ?

The 50 amp cord that you plug into the supply post. Shore cord, Shore line etc, same thing. Unplugging that will isolate all the AC power going into the RV but turning the breaker off for the AC unit should also work.

Is this before attempting a reset of the thermostat?The thermostat reset should be the 1st thing.

Try and reset the thermostat first. IF that does not work remove both the AC and DC power and then try the reset again. From my experience owners do not know about the step about taking the power away if the reset does not work. SO YES try the reset 1 st!!

Ok I'll try that. I'm almost home now
The reset worked it's on now and producing heat. The house batteries are at 13.6 volts.Now is that just a bandaid to a more serious problem or just leave it alone until it does it again?Regardless, thanks for your help!

You should be good to go I would not worry about it unless it keeps happening.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating at the TOP of the page.

Have a Safe and Happy Holidays..... Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Thanks Robert, 5 stars man!! Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Hey c robert are you there?