RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We have a Atwood gc6a-6 hot water heater and we can not get…

We have a Atwood...

We have a Atwood gc6a-6 hot water heater and we can not get the pioltlight to stay lit. Can you please tell me what all to check to get this fixed?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

It is manual gas and electric combined. The pilot will light but it does not stay lit to heat up the hotwater

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Pilot?

The trailer is a 1992 Terry resort from Fleetwood. The model number is ***** we bought the trailer used so I do not know how old the hot water heater is.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pilot yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes we are. My husband checked to make sure nothing was blocked and we replaced the thermcuple which it did not correct the problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Is there a charge for this service?

Mechanic's Assistant: The Expert's answer will cost $10 to $100, depending on the issue type and time to respond. You'll see the exact amount on the next page and can decide then. It's way less expensive and more convenient than any face-to-face visit.

Ok thank you

12/6/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please give me several mins to type a response.

Thanks. Robert

If you have the pilot model where you have to light it from outside it could be the gas control valve or the LP pressure is off.

IT would be hard for you to know what the LP pressure is without a manometer to check it. Go to the main LP tank and shut the valve, slowly open it back up. Sometimes if the valve on the tank is opened to fast the regulator on the tank can lock up and you may not get the proper pressure.

Make sure the burner tube is also clear and clean, click HERE for a service manual and it will help you troubleshoot this, I suspect the gas control valve is going to be the problem if the thermocouple and LP pressure are good. The manual should help you troubleshoot this some more.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating at the TOP of the page.

ROBERT

Also if you have the style water heater where you hit a switch inside the RV and the electrode starts sparking let me know, this style would be a direct ignition, opposed to doing anything under the outside access panel.

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic