RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My Norcold has a 5 blink code it will run on electric by…

My Norcold has a...

My Norcold has a 5 blink code it will run on electric by will only run a couple grs on gas took it to the repairman, couldn’t diagnose the problem has new fas valve, new computer bd. They said the thrmistor checked out. I can reset the mother bd but it will flash a code later.

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Since i bought the trailer 1 yr. it is a 2005 thor had the problem since i bought it

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Ya

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The pilot will stay lit and it works fine on ac electricity

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/28/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 4 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

What is the model number of the Norcold?

Thanks. Robert

Also is the box cooling off?

Robert

811 and yesN811

And how are you resetting the code, are you doing the jumper wire to ground on the back of the fridge? And we are sure it is 5 blinks?

Robert

plus today I put a new computer board in because the technician checked everything else. The frig shows no sign of leaking refrigerant.What about the sensor in the flue pipe?

Please give me several mins to type a response....

ROBERT

Normally when you get the code the box will stop getting cold and then the fridge is locked out meaning it will not work on AC or LP......

One thing you might want to check out is the DC supply, this often gets overlooked. The fridge needs good clean DC power to work. Sometimes a power converter can put out AC ripple or dirty voltage and the board does not like it, this check often gets missed. What you can do is check for AC voltage on the DC supply wires going into the fridge, you should not have more then 6 AC volts on the DC supply, if you do then you can run power and ground direct from the battery and see what happens, running voltage from the battery is a clean source of power.

IF that is not the issue it very well could be the sensor if you replaced the board.

Normally the 5 blink code means the back of the fridge is getting to hot and the fridge should shut down, you see this when a cooling unit becomes blocked or ruptures. The fact the fridge is still going with the code tells me it could be a voltage issue to the board.

Hope this points you in the right direction.

ROBERT

it does stop cooling when the code shows up. Sometimes it will start without the jump start . It will run on a/c power from an external geberator fine.

YES it should you should not be able to use the fridge at all meaning no flame and the AC would not work as well. This code 5 blinks means the fridge has shut down, if it got to hot on the back of the fridge it could start a fire and that is why the fridge shuts down.

Kind of a strange one you have going on here, check the DC supply voltage. IF needed run power and ground direct from the battery and see what happens.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic