RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I want to put in a. I want to put an outlet in to run the…

I want to put...

I want to put in a

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

I want to put an outlet in to run the heater system on a 27 FBSS Trail Hawk. Would house current work.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

This camper was purchased used by my daughter and her boyfriend. I just want to supply electric for the heating system to work.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Camper?

Not sure

11/19/2018
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 4 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Yes, with the right sized cord and amps at the source. Is the trailer going to be plugged in with the shore cord as well?

OR did you mean you wanted to put in an outlet at your home to power up the camper? If so, does this have a 30 amp (3 prong) shore cord or a 50 amp (4 prong) shore cord?

what is a shore cord

The power cord that comes on the trailer.

I have an outlet outside now with house current, will this run just the heating

How long is the cord? And the gauge matters. 15 or 20 amp rated outlet?

I am leaving in a few minutes to go into my shop. I will be offline for about 20 minutes.

15 but I will change it if necessary

You should have a regular RV outlet. At least 30 amp rated or you are going to have problems overloading this and it can cause a fire. Too much amperage raises the heat in the circuit.

115 volt 30 amp outlet would this due for short term use, say a couple of weeksthis is for heat only

You can get by with a 20 amp rated outlet as long as the wire size for it is #12. Then are you using an adapter on the cord to that outlet?

L'll use 10-2 copper wire with a 30 amp breaker

That works.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
thank you