RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Back bathroom GFCI outlet tripped because we plugged in an…

Back bathroom GFCI outlet tripped...
Back bathroom GFCI outlet tripped because we plugged in an electric heater. Can't find the reset in our 2015 Thor Hurricane 34E. Looked at outside outlet and no GFCI reset button. The only outlet with GFCI reset is in mid bathroom. One outside outlet works and one doesn't. Breaker panel has two breakers labeled GFCI. Where is the stinkin' other GFCI outlet with the reset button on my motorhome?! Do you happen to know?
11/14/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please give me a few mins to respond I have to wrap up with another customer, I will respond.

Robert

So normally they like to stick the GFCI's in the bathroom and or galley. If you happen to have an inverter make sure you do not have a tripped breaker on the inverter, most inverters will have one or two breakers on them. An inverter allows you to have AC power when you are not plugged into power and some RV's have them and some do not. They like to wire some outlets through the inverter circuit.

I have seen some strange places they stick the GFCI's over the years, as a general rule anywhere where a water source is present, bathroom, galley area or outside is normally where they will stick them. Also cycle the breakers in the breaker panel off and then back on if you have not done so.

Normally when you overload the circuit it will infact trip the GFCI or breaker.

Robert

We don't have an inverter. We could only find one GFCI receptacle with a reset switch. Only one outlet outside. One plug works and one doesn't so I am guessing there are two GFCI circuits. We did turn both circuit breakers off and then on again. The breakers in the panel didn't trip, as you said. Do you know of an Internet site where they show GFCI locations by make and model? Even the stupid Thor manual doesn't tell you where they are...

NO I do not know where you can get diagrams online, if I had that ability I would have given them to you. Most RV manufacturers are very stingy publishing these online, it is possible that if you contact Thor with your vin number they might be able to send you a print. I worked as a tech and technical support for other RV manufacturers and it was never an issue sending customers prints for issues like this but you would need to contact them direct, if you need a number I can look that up for you.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Thanks, ***** *****'s ok. I tried calling Thor Customer Service at 4:07p Central time and the recording said they were closed. I will try tomorrow. Thanks for all your help, Robert.