RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We install the optional heat strip in our Winnebago aspect…

We install the optional...

We install the optional heat strip in our Winnebago aspect to 005 for electric heat. It went in perfectly however when we turn on the electric heat the propane comes on and the electric comes on but the heat strip doesn’t heat up.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

Sorry we are talking about a motorhome and the heating for the motorhome itself

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

We have a mechanic here who works on RVs however he feels it may be from the factory that way so that the heating propane and the electric heating comes on at the same time for some reason

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that’s it

The mechanic believes the problem might be in the thermostatNo luck yet, when we put on electric the propane comes on too and the coils do not heat up,Anyone there?Possible problem with circuit board?
Hellooooo
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/12/2018
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 4 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Did you check the dip switches on the control board to be sure you added that option? And you want the fan speed set on "Auto" for these functions. Check that and get back to me. Make and model of the A/C and thermostat would be helpful here. I have an RV repair shop and work on these for a living. All follow ups are included in our one time fee. No time limit.

Darn my rv mechanic just left, how do I find this infothe heat strip is installed, it does not heat up even though we tested it beforehand

The control board has to be programmed so that it knows you have one on most of these. The make and model is usually on the A/C and the name is ***** ***** thermostat.

When we turn thermostat on electric, the above fan comes on, but so does the below propane fan. Then when we put the thermostat on gas heat only the propane comes oName on the thermostat is RV Comfort . Hp Coleman Mack

The fan speed needs to be set on "Auto" for one. And the control board or module has to be set so that the thermostat knows you added that option.

Or you have to program in the heat strip. Some Coleman units have to have a different control board for a heat strip.

Working on it... I’ll let you know thanks!

10-4

I turned off the thermostat, put it on auto, then pushed it over to Electric Heat, the fan up top started to blow cold air then the propane heater came on. Top was blowing cool air , propane blowing hot air. Darn

Was that with the fan on "Auto" setting? If so, then you need a new control module I suspect. You may need a different one anyway to use the heat strip. I can find out tomorrow.

it was on auto, thank you so much. MimiLook forward to hearing from you tomorrow ��

I will check in the morning and see if that control module needs to be changed.

I checked and I need the actual model number off the A/C on this. And the same for your thermostat. Coleman makes about a dozen different ones. Look at the attached link for a list of those they have now. See if you can tell me which one is yours. https://www.airxcel.com/docs/default-source/coleman-mach/thermostats/thermostat-catalog.pdf?sfvrsn=4

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Hi Randall, well we found the answer and you might find this interesting, .. if the thermostat is set more than 4 degrees higher than room temp, then propane will come on even if you have it set on electric heat... if it is below 4.degrees then the electric heat will come on alone and maintain the temp. The electric heat is only for maintaining the temperature, at least in my motorhome. Who would have thought?

Is this a heat pump version and not just a standard A/C? And I have not seen that before, but will make some inquires about it for you.