RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have 2008 Montana with a Dometic heat unit. It has a two…

I have 2008 Montana...

I have 2008 Montana with a Dometic heat unit. It has a two button thermostat. The lights are on on the wall thermostat and the remote temp will adjust up and down but the heat will not come on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

The green unit on light and the red furnace light

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Montana yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I pulled the batteries out of the remote and ran the temp up to 88. It is my brother-in-law's trailer and he said that usually makes it come on

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The unit doesn't beep when you adjust the temp. It will usually beep when the temp is adjusted

11/11/2018
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 4 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Ok. Let me know what you need

This is a remote controlled unit? Those are NLA and if the receiver is bad he may need to upgrade to a newer system. You can try unplugging the cable on each end and see if that brings back the power and signal. It looks like a phone cable. One on the receiver and one at the control box under the A/C and visible when you remove the air filter and housing on most models. Let me know what happens.

The lights went out on the receiver. After plugging each back in the unit doesn't respond. I can adjust the remote but no lights come on at the receiver.Can the receiver replaced with a regular thermostat to get rid of the remote?

It might be a blown fuse in the load center for the furnace OR some control modules have 3 amp fuse on them. Yes, you can replace this with a new digital thermostat. Takes some wiring and about $100 in parts. I can direct you in that hookup.

That would be great. I haven't found a blown fuse.

Did you take the cover off the control module and check in there?

No. Where is the control module at? I only looked in the load center.

Depending on the model of the A/C it may be underneath the air filter when there is a direct vent under the unit OR up on top and visible when the cover is removed off the A/C.

If you can give me the model number of this unit I can tell you which thermostat kit you would need.

I need to take a short break here to go turn on my power system. I live off-grid.

Ok. I will send you some info.Duo-Therm(###) ###-####004
S/N CO 107168

That may be the part number off the control. The A/C model usually starts with a 5 or a 6. Like 59615 or 600315.

No fuse in control module.

If you have or can come up with a small digital multimeter like you can find at most hardware stores for about $20 or so we can do some testing to see if the module is getting power or not. Or it may not have a good ground.

I can. It will be more morning. I am on the east coast. Can I send a message back when I check it in the .morning?

Yes. I am in California, but get up early.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Phone call session started
What was the part number and brand you gave me? I looked up***********and didn't find anything.

Dometic part(###) ###-####000 or(###) ###-####010 should be a Capacitive Touch Thermostat kit.

The part is supposed to arrive today. I probably won’t have time to install it until Thursday. I will let you know when I am installing it.

10-4