RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

1993 Dutchman 32 ft pull behind camper. Furnace and water…

1993 Dutchman 32 ft pull...
1993 Dutchman 32 ft pull behind camper. Furnace and water heater inop, no power to furnace thermostat, does not appear to be any power to furnace, circuit breakers test fine, one 15a fuse blows, others fine, couple outlets have never worked.
11/7/2018
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 3 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Do you have or can you come up with a small digital multimeter from the local hardware store? This is much easier to test out that way. And I need the make and model of the water heater and the furnace. One or two batteries? Plugged into shore power or not?

Atwood Furnace was a 8535-II, I replaced it with Atwood 8535-IV, the old one blower was screeching, would shut off after awhile, and I had replaced the circuit board with aftermarket one, the suddenly was getting nothing from it. After replacing it, doing the same thing, nothing. I don't appear to be getting power to the thermostat, and not picking up any voltage around furnace wiring. The water heater seem to quit at same time, not sure, was working before, now switch won't light up and nothing, it is Atwood GCH6-7E. There is no battery hooked up to camper, I've wired camper directly into house circuit breaker box, and propane line is spliced into house propane, both are trenched underground. Camper is up on blocks next to the house on a farm. I may have talked to you previously when was having problems with old furnace, while we were talking about the problems I was having at the time is when it quit doing anything at all and I put repairs on hold. Thanks, Les

You need a 12 VDC battery AND a good charging unit of some kind. What is the charging system?

It's a pull behind camper, not sure what you mean by charging system, I do have a 12v battery on tongue which has a solar maintainer on it, but it has been disconnect for a long time and everything was working fine.

You need a good converter that charges the battery(s) when you are plugged in. Solar won't get it done unless you have several hundred watts.

Then apparently I have a converter that I'm not familiar with, I can easily test the battery and hook it back up if needed. Don't know how it all works, just know that battery has been disconnected some time and everything was working fine.

What is the make and model of the load center? That would give me an indications. See the attached link for a copy of the Atwood Service Manual which includes the wiring diagrams. You should have a positive (red) and a negative (yellow) lead coming into the furnace and two blue leads which are for the thermostat. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/hflamefurn04.pdf

The battery tests good and is now hooked up. The load center is Series 6300 A, Model 6345. Those were the wires I hooked up when I installed the newer furnace.

What is the output voltage OUT of the converter? Did you ever upgrade this to a newer electronic charging unit? If not, you will have two charging leads and those voltages will not be the same. One is the blue lead at the top of the fuse block and the other is connected at the rear of the battery wiring hookups.

The blue lead at top of fuse box is 2.5v if that makes sense, if I'm reading it properly, don't know what you mean with other connected at the rear of the battery, there are two junction boxes with covers mounted behind battery.The blue lead at top of fuse box is 2.5v if that makes sense, if I'm reading it properly, don't know what you mean with other connected at the rear of the battery, there are two junction boxes with covers mounted behind battery. I didn't upgrade charging unit.

On the rear of the fuse block where the battery. A red wire comes in to that connection. The other blue line should be putting out about 12.3 VDC to ground. The red side should be about 13.7 to 14.2 VDC. Sounds like you need a new upgrade.

I'm sure I'm setting the multimeter wrong and/or misreading it, when checking the blue wire at top of fuse block, I set dial to 15 dcv, it pegs it, when set to 150, dial goes up about a quarter of the way. Not sure what battery you're talking about in fuse block, I don't have access to rear of fuse block, there is a red wire attached to fuse block below the blue wire that reads about the same as blue wire.I'm sure I'm setting the multimeter wrong and/or misreading it, when checking the blue wire at top of fuse block, I set dial to 15 dcv, it pegs it, when set to 150, dial goes up about a quarter of the way. Not sure what battery you're talking about in fuse block, I hooked up the battery on the tongue. I don't have access to rear of fuse block, there is a red wire attached to fuse block below the blue wire that reads about the same as blue wire. I might have to get a better multimeter, a digital one tonight or tomorrow.

You need a meter that reads actual DC voltage. That is the only way you can do this.

On the dial says dc-v, can set at 15, 150, and 1000. when set on 15 it pegs both blue and red wire, on 150 it reads about a quarter of the way up dial, which if reading right is like 175 on the dcv dial, so I don't know.
Can pick up a digital one tonight, I think would be easier to read, this dial one is too confusing for me to read I guess.

It needs to be a digital readout meter so you have actual voltage.

Ok, will get one.

Less than $20 at the local hardware store. It has a battery so be sure it comes with one.

Blue wire is 12.5v, red is 14v.

That is about what you would expect to see. What is the reading AT the battery(s) then? It should be about 14 VDC.

13.9v on tongue battery.

So that is good. Then you should have had a positive lead off the fuse block on the 14 VDC side which is the 3 most left fuses for the furnace. It should go to the red wire on the furnace harness. You should have a ground lead to the yellow wire. And the two blue leads should go up to the thermostat OR the control module for the furnace and A/C depending on which thermostat you have. Is that what you have here?

Which thermostat do you have?

I teach RV classes at the local JC on Wednesday nights so I will be gone for a few hours beginning in about 30 minutes.

I will get back on it in the morning.I will get back on it in the morning. I have two thermostats, one for a/c, and one for heat, the heat has multiple small wires, not sure why if just for heat. I actually ordered a thermostat awhile back that looks like it, but only has a couple wire connections, so didn't use it.

A heat only thermostat only uses two wires. I will be around all day.

Both thermostats are different, assuming someone added the a/c thermostat, I wish heat thermostat was only 2 wires, looks like colorful angel hair spaghetti in furnace space. I did click on call me tab, maybe could send pictures of what I've got.

If you have more than two wire connections you don't have a heat only thermostat. You can easily add one. Add a photo of what you have and I should be able to tell you what it is.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
I did click on 'call me', sending photos through email is proving difficult, would be easier for me via text.
Phone call session started