RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My Atwood furnace 8535, will not fire off, its been erratic…

My Atwood furnace 8535...

My Atwood furnace 8535, will not fire off, its been erratic and this morning does not fire at all. The thermostat is Dometic and is flashing on mode 1 but we only have 1 mode

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2009 Montana

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Montana yourself? What have you tried so far?

Took off furnace cover, used reset, tapped on blower and it worked for a day now nothing, the furnace ran good, it seems to be a stuck valve, gage or ?

10/25/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

So when you turn the thermostat ON and raise the temp does the blower motor kick ON? IF the blower motor is coming on can you hear the electrode trying to spark?

Robert

The blower was coming on until today now nothing when I turn on the thermostatcant hear anything blower or sparkingRobert you still there

YES I am here....

Please give me several mins to type a response....

ROBERT

So if the blower is NOT coming on at all that normally indicates a bad thermostat, circuit board, blower motor.

I am going to give you a service manual so you can look at the wiring and understand how it works.

When you turn the thermostat on it sends voltage to the circuit board or a time delay relay. Some older models used the time delay relay and that would be on the back of the blower motor housing. On the newer models the relay is part of the circuit board. So with the thermostat ON you need to see if voltage is going to the relay or board. IF you have voltage then I would next have the board tested. These boards do fail and a shop can test the board with a special board tester.

IF you are NOT getting voltage to the time delay relay or circuit board then the thermostat is the problem.

Also look for a round breaker on the back of the furnace, some have that breaker or an on/off switch you will see that in the manual, that should be constant power and the trigger is the wire from the thermostat. I know allot to take in all at once, click HERE for the service manual and look it over, they do a good job on the troubleshooting and explaining things.

If you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating at the TOP of the page.

ROBERT

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic