RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My Dometic refrigerator in my Forest River Cherokee faults…

My Dometic refrigerator in...

My Dometic refrigerator in my Forest River Cherokee faults to propane when the electricity start button is pushed. Why does the fridge not run on electricity as it did before?

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Cherokee?

2018

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

This unit is a 5th wheel trailer.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

Plugging the fridge directly to a 110 volt electrical cord.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I ran different checks based on a RV tech instructions. All checked out so the tech suggested we take it to the dealer service center for them to check out. We just got the RV back and the service tech said it had a incorrectly wired module board on 110 side.

10/23/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

What is the model number of the Dometic?

Thanks. Robert

Normally when you are in auto and plugged into power the fridge should always want to work on AC power, if the circuit board does not sense the AC power it will default to LP.

IT was very good you tried another source to eliminate the AC power being the issue. You should have a circuit board on the back side of the fridge. On the board are some fuses, one fuse is for DC power or what allows the fridge to turn on and work on LP and the other fuse is for the AC side or what allows it to work on AC power. IF the fuse is good and the incoming AC voltage I suspect the circuit board is the problem on the board is a relay that senses the AC voltage and does the switching back and forth. Also make sure everything is secure on the board, all your connections going to the AC heating element. Really should be covered under warranty if this is a 2018.

Hope this helps please feel free to respond back if needed.

ROBERT

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating at the top of the page.

ROBERT

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Robert was very helpful by explaining how the electrical and LP gas system in my RV works.