RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

When we retract the jacks the down warning light and beeper…

When we retract the jacks...
When we retract the jacks the down warning light and beeper stay on for several miles and bumps. We have tried jiggling the jacks before departing but it doesn't switch off. Presumably a microswitch fault but where is the switch hidden and how easy is it to replace?
10/20/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 4 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Who is the manufacturer of the jacks and are they Electric or Hydraulic jacks?

Robert

Hydraulics installed by Fleetwood as standard fitment

So have you actually checked the level in the reservoir? When you retract the jacks the fluid will raise a float switch located on the side of the reservoir, if the fluid level is low the float would not raise and it can cause the alarm to go off, even if it was a little low it can cause this. I would make sure the fluid is right below the fill port with the jacks RETRACTED, never check the level with them extended.

IF this is something you have checked already please let me know and I would need to know the manufacturer of the jacks, it will say on the control panel, fleetwood has used several over the years, my guess would be Power Gear. ROBERT

Thanks haven't checked reservoir (too green to have thought there was a reservoir. Will check where it is and fill it. What oil?Currently mobile with flaky signal in France so can't use mobile or check out anything until the morning as we've lost light tonight

Run the jacks down and listen for the pump/motor, the reservoir will be connected to the pump motor. It should be a redish color it will be Type A automatic transmission fluid (ATF, Dexron III) Dexron III is what most owners use, again check the fluid with the jacks STORED, fill right below the fill port.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating at the TOP of the page.

You can still follow up IF needed, I am around daily.... ROBERT

Hi was just checking in to see if my answer helped? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Robert thanks. Have at last found the reservoir not easy to access!
Waiting for the atf to arrive but we're sure you've cracked itas it explains why left corners switched it on then right handers switched it off. Is it the same atf for the transmission? We'll order more than 1pot if so