RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Our Atwood CO2 detector started alarming last night. I went…

Hi there. Our Atwood...

Hi there. Our Atwood CO2 detector started alarming last night. I went out, muted it, and checked the stove to find that one of the nozzles to the stove top wasn’t completely to the “off” setting. I switched it off. I opened the windows. I read that it may need to be cleaned so I cleaned the sensor, and it immediately turned green but then moments later went right back to red and beeping. At this time my boyfriend went outside to switch off the propane supply. Before he did this the sensor turned green yet again, but moments later it turned red and started alarming again. He turned off the propane and the beeping continued with the red light on the display panel. After about 10-15 minutes of the windows being open and the propane being off the light turned green and stayed green. What does that seem like to you?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Lights in the sensor panel

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

Heartland Elkridge 2017

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I can get the model number

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just have turned the propane turned off at this time

10/8/2018
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 3 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Okay!

I​t takes some time to get rid of the LP which collects down at the floor level. Unless you get your nose on the floor you won't smell it. It should work fine now and I would try it again. Watch it carefully! Consider yourself fortunate as this can be very dangerous! Be more careful about bumping the stove knobs as that is the most common cause of this. Not a leak itself. If it acts up again then replace it. Hope that helps here. Please get back to me later if you need more as we have no time limits on any follow ups.

Thanks so much! I will be in touch as needed.

You are most welcome! Please tell your friends about our service here at Just Answer. And keep in mind that other chemicals such as cleaners and even perfume can set these off. And if the battery voltage drops too far they will begin to beep as well alerting you to that condition. If the battery voltage were to drop too far it won't work and be worthless.

Do you have any recommendations on any other sensors and detectors?Maybe one that isn’t so sensitive or not dependent on our RV battery?

That is a good brand, but Safe-T-Alert makes some good ones as well. I would stick to those that are designed for RV use. This technology has been around a long time and tested.

Thanks so much. I will def recommend you guys in the future.

That is always appreciated here!

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification