RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

2008 Jayco 299 RLS now power to fridge and air conditioner.

2008 Jayco 299 RLS...

2008 Jayco 299 RLS now power to fridge and air conditioner

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the Freon level?

The issue is no power

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your '08 RV?

2008 Jayco 299 RLS

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, tested gfi

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Batteries over charging

batteries over charging
10/5/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 4 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

SO normally the fridge and the AC unit need DC power to run the circuit boards.

Lets start with the fridge, what is the make and model?

Also you mention the batteries are over charging what is the voltage at the batteries when you are plugged in?

Robert

fridge and air conditioner were working fine on AC then both went out at same time, other 110 devices are working fine. There is just no power to either device

As I said NORMALLY they both need DC power to run the circuit boards. What is the make and model of the fridge?

Robert

Norcold 811, but the problem once again is that BOTH fridge and air conditioner are not getting any electrical power

OK

I am trying to help you out. Please try and stay on the same page with me. The fridge does not care at all if it is plugged into AC power for it to turn on and work.

I understand the AC is also not working. Have you actually checked the back of the fridge to see if it is getting DC power? The fridge will have a DC and AC fuse on the circuit board which is under the outside access panel.

The AC unit may also have a fuse on the circuit board. So I guess what I am trying to figure out is if the fuse is blown in the main fuse panel or at each appliance.

Do you have a volt meter?

ROBERT

I do not have a meter with me. I suspect that the problems are connected, perhaps a shedding device?

For starters if the fridge is not turning ON at all NO interior light in the fridge you have to check the DC supply nothing to do with shedding, without DC battery voltage the fridge is not going to turn ON. Check all the fuses in the main fuse panel. Click HERE for a service manual on the fridge, see page 7 fridge will not turn ON. You really need a volt meter or you are just guessing to what the problem is. You would have a fuse in the main fuse box and they all should be checked. They both run on AC and DC battery power, they will not turn on without the DC battery power.

You said converter over charging, this could have blown the fuse on the circuit board for both appliances, the only other item they may share in common is if they have the SAME fuse in your main fuse panel, but normally the circuit boards for EACH appliance will also have a DC fuse.

IF you would like to try another expert please let me know, my goal is for you to be satisfied. ROBERT

I have checked the dc fuse for the fridge, it looks ok, I do notice that when I remove the fuse the red light at the bottom of the dc fuse panel does not light upThe circuit breaker for the fridge and air separateshould have said are separate

I know they each have a circuit breaker that is for the AC side. They both need DC power to work, DC power is fuse protected, not breakers. They could be using the same FUSE NOT BREAKER. The fuse would be in the main fuse panel.

checked the dc fuse, it is ok. However when I remove the fuse shouldn't the red light below the fuse light up?

I believe it will only come on when the fuse is blown.

At this point you really need a volt meter. Need to check the battery voltage, you mentioned the batteries over charging. The fridge and AC unit are not going to work without DC power. IF the DC power got to low or to high it can damage the circuit boards on the appliances, the only way to know is to check the voltage at the appliances, the fridge would be easier to check first.

Has nothing to do with the AC power or circuit breakers, it is DC power that is the problem, DC power comes from the main fuse panel to the appliances.

I hope this is making some sense. IF you want to get a volt meter and get back to me later today that is fine.

ROBERT

OK, that is what I will do, thanks

10-4.... I will be available after 11 am PST...

Robert

RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago

Hi... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped?? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

ROBERT

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic