RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I recently replaced the battery in my camper trailer. All…

Customer Question
I recently replaced the...

I recently replaced the battery in my camper trailer. All lights, stove fan, etc. worked, but every 30-45 seconds the converter would click and the lights would dim, then it would click again and they would become brighter. Went on for 20-25 minutes. The clicking stopped, but now I'm not getting any power to the lights or fan

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

I bought the camper a couple of days ago- it's an '82 Nomad. The guy I bought it from said it had all new wiring, and all the fuses are in working order. It's coming from the converter.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Camper?

1982 Skyline Nomad

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camper yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I checked the wiring to the battery again, as well as the fuses. All of that was in order

Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: RV
9/30/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 4 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Sorry for the delay.....

DO you have a volt meter? When you plug into power the power converter will take the incoming AC voltage and make the DC voltage. You should have around 13 volts at the battery. IF that is not happening it sounds like the converter is the problem. You do want to also check the incoming AC voltage you are plugging into a polarity checker will tell you if the AC voltage is good. Most Home Improvement stores carry the polarity checkers for a few dollars, it plugs into the outlets and will tell you if there is a wiring issue present.

IF you are using any adapters or extension cords on the main cord they can also be problematic, to make sure they are not the problem I would plug the RV in direct with no cords or adapters to rule that out.

From what you are describing it sounds like a bad power converter but I would still check the supply source as it needs good clean AC voltage to work.

Hope this helps some, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating at the TOP of the page. ROBERT

Hi was just checking in to see if my answer helped? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

ROBERT