RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I had my 1997 Holiday Rambler IMperial RV unplugged from…

Customer Question
I had my 1997...

I had my 1997 Holiday Rambler IMperial RV unplugged from shore power for about 2 months and now I have no power in the RV. No 12 volt or 120 volt. Nothing comes on ....completely dead. The inverter appears to be dead also.... does not seem to turn on. Fan does not run. The generator starts but still now power inside...

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

There is now fluctuation at all, because there is now power at all.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Imperial?

1997

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Imperial yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm just trying to trouble shoot right now.... I do have shore power but even with that plugged in....nothing...

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I took the cover off the transfer switch and all looks ok....no burned spots and nothing looks out of place.

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: RV
9/30/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

So you are saying you have NO AC power inside the RV? That would be the outlets, TV'S and microwave.

When the RV was unplugged was the inverter left ON?

Robert

the inverter was left on.

IF the inverter was left on and the coach was not plugged into power it is going to suck the life out of the batteries. The inverter should shut down as well if the battery voltage is to low.

I think in this I would have the batteries load tested as they could be bad, a load test is the best test that can be done. Most Auto parts stores will load test them for free. IF the batteries do not take care if the issue you could have an issue with the transfer switch, it detects the incoming power source and switches back and forth between shore and generator power.

Again I would start with the house batteries and then see if you are still missing the AC power. You should see AC voltage coming into the transfer switch and then coming out, from there it goes to the breaker panel and some branches off to the inverter. Make sure you also cycle all the breakers inside the RV and check the inverter for some breakers as well.

When you are plugged into power the inverter should be charging the batteries but if they are bad discharged it may not matter.

Let me know if you need more help on this, I am around daily and respond WHEN I can.

ROBERT

Hi... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

ROBERT