RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Cooling unit never stops running weather running on AC or…

Customer Question
Cooling unit never stops...

Cooling unit never stops running weather running on AC or Gas. Seals are all tight, cooling efficiency seams normal ( controller set to 3 and temp stays at 38 deg). There are no alarms at the control panel. This refer is a Norcold model 1200LRIMSS, CU serial 22743255. Dose not make a lot of problems when running on AC but when running on Gas the burner runs constantly day & night which uses up my propane. BTW, the burner flame looks just like the picture in the manual.................Bob

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you noticed an increase in fuel consumption? And how does the vehicle start—same as usual?

Hun? I am having a problem with my refrigerator. If you mean an increase in propane consumption, the answer is yes....Bob

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

This is a Tiffin Alegro Bay 2005.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

At this point I am DIY. Have checked Gas Levels AC heater power draw (3.6 amps), ventalation (

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No I am stumped. Nothings wrong it just don't work.......Bob

Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: RV
9/28/2018
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 4 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

The flame never goes out completely on these. And these don't use that much LP and you can use it on AC mode and not use any LP gas at all. Is this situated in a slide out?

Just checking back in to see if perhaps you missed my earlier response to your question? I do have an RV repair shop and can assist you in sorting out the problem here and suggest a solution. If you need me to resend this information please let me know. Thanks!

Ok Randall. Here's the deal.
I suspect that I did not make myself clear with my initial inquiry. This refer is a NORCOLD model 1200LRIMSS. The cooling unit was replaced about two years ago with serial number 22743255. It is a dual fuel (I/E AC power & propane gas) E/W an ice maker. This refer does cycle on and off according to demand from the thermister located on the cooling fins on the back of the unit. My problem is that the cooling unit fails to cycle off once the gas burner has been started. When running on AC it cycles normally. This is verified by watching the AC current draw. (3.6 Amps on - 0.0 Amps off). The gas burner uses a spark igniter and is cycled by either supplying gas to the burner or denying gas through this solenoid activated valve. The gas supply is a solid 11" water column and the gas valve is clearly functioning properly because the refer readily switches form AC to Gas and back. Since the gas valve only connects to the controller (power) board I am convinced that the problem lies with the Power Board. I was initially looking for confirmation by someone with more experience than I before I spent $XXX dollars for a new controller. What say you?................Bob Brown

As I said before, this never goes off completely on LP mode. The flame just goes up and down. I don't think a new control board will change anything, but be sure you get an after market board made by Dinosaur Electronics. See the attached link for those choices. Shop around as the price varies. http://dinosaurelectronics.com/Nor_boards.htm

J​ust checking back in to see how this turned out and if you still needed any additional assistance from me here?