RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

NOticed water coming out of the water heater cover, opened…

NOticed water coming out...

NOticed water coming out of the water heater cover, opened it up and the bib hose at the top is leaking. Tried to turn it off with the switch, but the switch won't budge!

Mechanic's Assistant: What part of the car is the leak coming from? And are you sure it's water?

It's the water heater on the rv

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

Seriously, it's an RV! It's a Raptor, not sure of more than that right now

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I tried moving the little stick thing on the hose bib that's leaking, and got it to slow down a little. Tried turning it off, but as I said, the switch won't turn off for some reason

9/20/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 4 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Are you talking about the pressure relief valve it is brass and has a small lever on it.. IT is above the drain plug on the bottom of the water heater.

What is the make and model of the water heater. ?? Should be a sticker under the outside access panel.

ROBERT

YES that is a suburban.... Which switch will not budge, is the one inside or outside, in the lower left corner of the water heater in your picture you have a switch for the electric side.

Also is it leaking out of the top where that blue disc is with the lever?

ROBERT

the switch on the lower left will not work, and the water is leaking from where the blue disc isWe have to turn it on and off with that switch because it doesn't work with 12v anymore. So I turned it on earlier, and then when I noticed the water leaking I tried to turn it off, but it won't budge, like something is pushing back against the off side of the switch

SO sometimes there is a tiny pin in the switch make sure it is not inserted. IF needed and you want to isolate that switch shut the breaker off for the water heater.

IS the leak coming out of the port or is it leaking out the threaded connection where the relief valve screws into the tank?

ROBERT

Looks like the leak is coming out of the part that looks like a hose bib.The part with the blue disc on it

OK

Give me a few mins to type a response.....

I just realized I don't know if hose bib is what that's called. Sorry, my husband always does this stuff but he's gone on business and unreachable right now!

Yes that is the pressure relief valve....

Seeping/Dripping

If the pressure relief valve on the back of the water heater seeps or drips water, you may have lost the air pocket that is normally present at the top of the water heater. This can occur over time. To re-establish the air pocket, follow these steps.

1. Shut off the water heater (LP and electric)

2. If using city water, turn off the faucet. If on internal water, turn off the pump.

3. Open a hot water faucet in the RV.

4. Carefully open the pressure relief valve and allow water to flow out until it stops flowing.

5. Let the pressure relieve valve snap back to the closed position.

6. Close the hot water faucet and turn on the water supply.

7. Turn the water heater on and check for normal operation.

If the seeping/dripping continues, the pressure relieve valve is probably defective.

SO it is possible it needs to be replaced but follow the steps above. IF this is something you want to attempt replacing let me know and I can give you some pointers on that.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating at the TOP of the page.. ROBERT

Okay, but I can't turn it off!!

You can shut the breaker off inside the RV you should have a breaker labeled for the water heater. IT runs on AC power if the breaker is off then it will be shut down.

ROBERT

OR you can simply unplug the cord the RV is plugged into, you would loose all the power but if you want to try the steps above then that will work as well.

ROBERT

Yeah, we're boondocking, and the inside switch doesn't work lol I'll figure it outBreaker will do it thanks

Let me know if you need more help.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating at the TOP of the page.

ROBERT

If the inside switch is not working and it is not sparking when you hit the switch check the reset, I see you have the cover off of that. The little tiny posts in the center are the resets and gently push in on them. IF you are still getting NO spark it could be the circuit board and that is located on the side of the tank, the orange wire on the bottom right goes to the circuit board. Most RV shops can test the boards with a special board tester and can tell if it is good. The board will be inside the RV on the side, may have to pull a panel or some drawers to get at it. Normally no spark when you turn the switch on means the high limit is tripped which you have the cover off OR the board is suspect.

Hope this helps some more.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please take the time to select a STAR rating at the top of the page, it is the only way I get credit for my time and efforts. ROBERT

You can also respond back anytime you like I am around daily and respond when I can.

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic