RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 1997 Country Coach Allure, when I plugged into

Second opinion] I have...

Second opinion] I have a 1997 Country Coach Allure, when I plugged into shore power I lost all power inside the coach not connected to the breaker panel, that tells me my problem is the inverter power switching unit {I think} but I don't know where to find that.......Paul

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

It's consistent and when I unplug the shore power I now don't have power through the inverter

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Country yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am, checked all the breakers and fuses where I could find them

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

If there is a power switch unit, where it is

Answered in 1 hour by:
9/16/2018
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 4 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

I have an RV repair shop and work on these all the time. What is the make and model of your inverter/charger and do you have or can you come up with a small digital multimeter for some testing? About $20 or so at most hardware stores and easy to use. I can direct you in some testing. All follow ups are included in our one time fee an there are no time limits. I am in and out and will respond back as soon as my schedule allows. I have shop service calls that sometimes keep me busy. Thanks!

Hi, the inverter is a Heart D20 and yes, I have a multimeter

That has an internal switching unit that works just like an automatic transfer switch. Check the incoming AC power while on shore power and see that you are getting good AC voltage into the unit first. Let me know what you find and we can go from there. Do you have the User's Manual for this?

The power from the shore hookup is going thru the transfer switch to the interior 110v panel, according to the coach service book it shows that the power should be going from that panel to the inverter then to the 110v plugs in the coach, but doesn't, I have checked the input/output at the inverter, the buss fuse on both sides, (only showing DC volts} all 4 breakers on inverter are ingaged, just nothing else there. even checked all the fuses near the inverter, all goodwhere is the AC power from shore coming into the inverter? everything around the inverter shows 13.56vdc, same as the battery

From the automatic transfer switch in most cases. Unless this has a separate breaker for that in the load center. I have seen some installations in my shop done that way. If will have 120 VAC leads coming into that side of it. See the manual wiring diagram.

I am attaching a link to the User's Manual in case you don't have one. Print this out so you have it.http://www.serenitysys.com/beaver/archives/FREEDOM_%20458%20Series_COMBI_Inverter_%20Manual.pdf

it shows the input and output on the same side of the inverter, I'll be a while, but I'm going out right now to test it and will get back to you
I do have the users manual but thank you.........Paul

Notice on page 25 the AC input is on the left side as you face it. Both AC outputs come out the right side.

Now I'm more confused than when I started, I pulled the wiring out of the input and output sides, input shows 126.9v and output shows 125.6v yet nothing inside

Those are usually on a GFCI controlled outlet. Did you check to be sure that wasn't tripped?

This should have two output feeds on most of these. If so, did you check them both?

No, just the obeNo, just the oneNo, I didn't, and where is the GFCI breaker? there is 4 breakers on the face of the inverter and all are fine

Usually one in the kitchen area and one in the bathroom area. Each one has three or 4 plugs on that circuit as a rule. Push the button in to reset it. If it won't reset it may be bad.

Both plugs, 1 in the kitchen and 1 in the bathroom only have 2 plugins on them and no GFIC reset buttonthe inverter has only 1 set of wires going into the input side and 1 set of wires coming out of the output side

There has to be one for the bathroom and one for the kitchen area by code. Look around as they can put these almost any place.

Nope, there isn't one in either place, I looked inside all the cabinets and under the counters

Do the bathroom and kitchen sink outlets work or not? If not, then they are going to be on one and the master with the reset may not be there, but would be tied to those outlets. It may not have anything plugged into it at all now.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Found it, the GFCI plug is in the bedroom, the breaker was tripped, reset it and have electric again, thanks for all your help..........Paul

Super! And you are most welcome! Please tell your friends about our service here at Just Answer.