RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Water heater wasn't working, Found and replaced the thermal…

Water heater wasn't working...

Water heater wasn't working, Found and replaced the thermal diode. it burned. Replaced thermostat cutoffs on side of tank and the control module. Second thermal diode burned, but while watching their was fire coming out of the oxygen intake portion just outside the gas valve that may have burnt the thermal diode. Can you bypass the thermal diode to test it?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked to make sure the thermostat is working? What about the coolant level?

Both ok. there is a call for heat. It does spark and ignites but again their is gas coming out burning the thermal diode.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

Winnebago 2004 30B, Water heater is the Atwood G6A-8E

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, and replaced control board and put in new tank sensors

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The only thing I haven't replaced is the gas valve and is their a test for it?

Answered in 1 minute by:
8/31/2018
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 4 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

If I am understanding you correctly it sounds like you have some bug debris in the burner tube that is causing this to flame up like that. I would take that off and check it with a small bottle brush. Spiders crawl in there and build a web and it causes this. Or it can be a mud dobber or wasp. Check that and get back to me. And yes, you can bypass the thermal fuse, but not the best idea. That does keep these from catching fire. Hope that proves helpful here. Please get back to me later if you need more as all follow ups are included in our one time fee. No time limit.

What more would you like to know? I did check for that and ran a flex brush thru it.. Nothing.
As well as the main burner path is clear.
I was also thinking the oxygen mix intake area may be too open allowing it to blow backwards and flame up?

You might want to check the LP working pressure at the tank regulator. That should be adjusted at least once a year. What is that set at? It varies with the elevation. Here where I am at 2400 ft we put it in the middle. Sea level is about 1/3 open.

We are at 6300 feet of elevation. I don't have a pressure meter. What should I do in place of that?

You want to open it up and turn the LP working pressure down. Try 2 full turns to the left or counter clockwise and see how that works.

Will do and get back with you, thanks.

O.K. If it still flares up then back it off another full turn.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification