RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have an issue with my dometic fridge in my travel trailer.

I have an issue...

I have an issue with my dometic fridge in my travel trailer

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your RV?

Fleetwood Terry, 2001

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fleetwood yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried anything yet, fridge was working and all the sudden the middle part got burning hot so we turned it off and it hasn't been working since

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Haven't pulled it out and rolled it over yet if that's needed

8/22/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 4 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

What is the model number of the Dometic?

When you say burning hot was this on the inside of the fridge or under the outside access panel?

Will the fridge turn on at all now?

ROBERT

Model # RM2652
Between the freezer and fridge, the panel that goes between when u open the doors

So right now will the fridge turn on at all?

OR it will not cool off on BOTH LP and AC power?

ROBERT

Did you or do you smell ammonia at all or see a yellowish powder on the back side of the fridge?

ROBERT

It tries to run but it doesn't get cold

Got it... Thank you.

Give me a few mins to type a response...

ROBERT

Normally when you get no cooling in the box on BOTH LP and AC power it could be a problem with the cooling unit OR thermistor.

IF you have a volt meter I can tell you how to ohm out the thermistor. IF you do NOT have a meter what you can do is disconnect it. IF you look under the outside access panel you will see a circuit board (board has a plastic cover), on the board is a 2 wire connector, it is the only 2 wire connector on the board, it sits below a 6 wire connector, when you unplug it then it should put the fridge into a FULL cooling cycle and everything should get very cold after a few hours.

IF nothing happens then the cooling unit is suspect. A cooling unit can rupture OR becoming blocked. FOR a rupture you might smell ammonia or see a yellowish powder on the back of the fridge. FOR a blockage you may not have any symptoms at all but no cooling in the box. Once a cooling unit becomes blocked it normally needs to be replaced. What you can try to do is get a rubber mallet and tap on the absorber coils on the back of the fridge SOMETIMES that will help get things going again. Also make sure the fridge is level.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR Rating at the TOP of the page. ROBERT

I have a digital multimeter can u tell me how to ohm out the thermistor?

YES..

Let me grab that info for you. Respond shortly... ROBERT

Click HERE and see page 11 this is a service manual. What you are going to do is stick the end inside the fridge in a cup of ice water for 5 mins and then go dis-connect the thermistor from the board and ohm out the wires leading back to the other end in the cup of ice water. you should have 8K to 10k ohms.....

Hope this helps out..

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating at the TOP of the page. ROBERT

Should the fridge me on when I do this?

IT does not matter as the thermistor will be disconnected anyway, on or off.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating at the TOP of the page.

Ohms are 8.3 .. I'm guessing that's 8300
Might be the cooling unit then, maybe start it up and see if it runs
Found yellowish powderWhat do i do if it's ruptured?

DO NOT USE IT..... It can be dangerous. With the statement of the yellowish powder and the heat it was putting out it really sounds like it failed, the thermistor was the only other item to check on this.

A cooling unit will cost 1/2 of what a new fridge will and the labor is more, in the shop it is about 4 hours to replace the cooling unit VS 1.5 hours to put a new fridge in. The current model would be a DM 2652

I understand this is not great news and hopefully I have help out some. IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating at the TOP of the page.
Thanks. ROBERT

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Thank you Robert, I will check for a new one

No problem at all....

Thanks. ROBERT