RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

First time using 2005 Jayco Eagle. Electric problem,

First time using 2005...

First time using 2005 Jayco Eagle. Electric problem, supposedly need converter. Tonight high pitch alarm went off. Unplugged electric, turned off gas. Finally had to pull battery plug to make alarm stop. What's happening?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tried locking and unlocking the driver's side door using the key itself?

This is a pull behind travel trailer

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Eagle yourself? What have you tried so far?

New battery. Husband ordered new converter

8/21/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

That could have been the LP detector going off they will do that when the voltage gets low.

Are you plugged into power? When you are plugged into power the power converter will take the incoming AC voltage and make the DC voltage and charge the battery. IF you are plugged in the battery voltage should be around 13.5 volts. Sometimes they will stick a breaker between the batteries and converter, below is a picture, as a general rule it would be 18" from the battery, most have a tiny tab on them that will pop out when they trip. To test you would want to see the same voltage on each post to chassis ground, if one side reads much higher it is the problem. Converter also do fail and when that happens you do loose the DC voltage.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating at the TOP of the page.

ROBERT

Breaker.

We know we need a converter so is that why we have the alarm. Refrigerator went out too

YES and YES.... The LP detector will go off for low voltage and the fridge needs DC power to turn on and work, it could care less if it is plugged into an outlet it needs the DC voltage to work.

It does not work on AC power alone.

Make sure you do not have a breaker tripped as I mentioned I have seen techs, owners replace converters when it is a 4 dollar breaker. Double check..

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating at the TOP of thee page...

ROBERT

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Thanks for your help. It's to late at night to do anything now. Will I still be able to see your responses in the morning

Yes you should be able to just bookmark the page and come back to it.

Let me know if you need more help, I am around daily and respond WHEN I can.

ROBERT