RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My Norcold 1200 blew up last September 2017. I had Camping…

My Norcold 1200 blew...

My Norcold 1200 blew up last September 2017. I had Camping World replace the cooling coils and they added the new "Norcold Temp Monitor" from the recall by Norcold. $2600.00. We have used the fridge one time on a trip to Colorado the 1st week in July 2018. All worked well. When we got home I turned off the fridge. Today 8/19/18 I went to turn it on for a trip to New Mexico last week of this month. It will not come on. It's like there is no power to the fridge. 12 volt is on, RV is plugged in, but I notice the red light is burning all the time on the "tempature monitor". I don't remember if it should burn all the time or not since this I a new item on my fridge. Any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tried power cycling the appliance -- unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Well maybe just 30 minutes only.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It the red light supposed to be lit all the time on the temp monitor?

Answered in 1 minute by:
8/19/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

IF the red light is ON the fridge is locked out, that is a high limit sensor and when the light is ON the fridge will not work.

In order to reset that you will need a strong magnet, inside the box is a reed switch and many times you can reset it with a magnet. IF it will not reset OR it comes back on after running the fridge it will need to be looked at. Sometimes low dc voltage can also trigger it to trip. Click HERE for some more info on the reset.

Hope this helps you out.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating at the TOP of the page. ROBERT

Will that red light being on ,on the temp monitor keep the display from working on fridge inside the rv because I can not start the fridge or change mode settings or temp setting because the display is dead???

YES..... IF you get the light to go off the fridge will be back in operation. When the light is OFF it cuts voltage to the board on the fridge....

ROBERT

Okie Dokie I'll give it a try. Thanks, Keith

Let me know if you need more help...

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating at the TOP of the page..

Thanks. ROBERT

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic