RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a Norcold model 962 refrigerator that was installed…

I have a Norcold...

I have a Norcold model 962 refrigerator that was installed in my 1985 Wilderness travel trailer to replace the original refrigerator probably in around 1995. It has always performed flawlessly even in the worst of the hot weather. However on a recent trip the "thermometer" temperature setting display has failed, showing only one bar in the thermometer bar graphic. The refrigerator continues to operate normally otherwise, and can be turned on and off as normal and does successfully switch between LP Gas and AC automatically depending on availability and does correctly display the LP Gas or AC source as always. I have not dared to attempt to reset the temperature level as the refrigerator continues to operate normally otherwise and keeps stuff cold without freezing stuff in the non-freezer compartment as always. Suggestions?

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

As I said it is a Norcold model 962 installed new around 1995.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I would hope to fix it myself as I am well over 100 miles from any kind of facility that could even replace the refrigerator for me. I am wondering if the display - control unit is replaceable in the field.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

That's it. If a display - control module is available I would be happy to order it on line.

8/19/2018
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 4 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Sorry for the delay in someone getting to your question here! That eyebrow control is NLA and so you may want to just leave it go and use it as is. There is a chance that it can repaired if you want to try that. See the attached link for a copy of the Norcold Service Manual for this model. Print it out so you have it. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/ncold900.pdf

Just checking back in to see if perhaps you missed my earlier responses to your question? I do have an RV repair shop and can assist you in sorting out the problem here and suggest a solution. If you need me to resend this information please let me know. Thanks!

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Randall : Thanks for your response including the link to the Norcold Service Manual. Since the control panel is no longer available I will indeed probably just try to continue using it as is - as long as the thing continues to function properly at least even though the temperature setting indication is no longer functioning. Sorry for not responding sooner, but I just discovered that my e-mail is no longer working, so I did not get your response.