RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I recently bought a new motorhome with a Norcold 2118X

I recently bought a...

I recently bought a new motorhome with a Norcold 2118X series refrigerator. The refrigerator will not syat running. Help!

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

The fridge is brand new. Make is Norcold 2118X series.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can or idf there is a technician in our area

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I live in Chrisman, IL

8/8/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 4 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

What is your zip code and I can look to see who is authorized Norcold in your area.

I am also a RV tech and if you want to try and troubleshoot this I can try and help as well.

I would need to know more details such as if it stays running on AC power but not LP, vice versa, does it appear to be working but not cooling etc.

Robert

zip code is 61924 Code guide a temperature limit switch is open

OK

I can help you with that fault and you may not even need a repair center.

Can you go to the outside access panel and tell me if you see a small black box. On the box is a led light, need to know if the light is ON? It will be red.

Robert

refrigerator runs for 30 seconds then shuts downit is on

OK

Give me a few mins to type a response.

ROBERT

That is the limit switch for the fridge and when the red light is ON it throws the code you are seeing and prevents the fridge from working. What you can try to do to get that light to go off is get a strong magnet and hold it right on the sensor above the light. Inside the sensor is a reed switch and many times a strong magnet will reset it. IF you get it to reset but it comes on after running the fridge you will need to have it looked at.

Make sure the fridge is level as well. Make sure you do not smell ammonia or see a yellowish powder on the back of the fridge. LOW DC voltage can set these sensors off or if you had an actual problem and normally that would be a cooling unit problem.

It is worth at least trying to get the light to go off with the magnet if it goes off the code will go away and the fridge will work again.

I will take a look to see what is available in your area as well.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating at the TOP of the page. ROBERT

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Country Camping Center is actually a certified Norcold shop I just checked.

15215 E 1800TH RD

CHRISMAN IL 61924

Phone:(###) ###-####/p>

I TRIED THE MAGNET AND IT DID NOT WORK. I WILL BE TAKING IT TO COUNTRY CAMPING CENTER TO HAVE A TECHNICIAN LOOK AT IT.