RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Norcold 811 light is blinking 4 times. The on light. 2016…

Norcold 811 light is...

Norcold 811 light is blinking 4 times

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?

The on light.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2016 spree by KZ

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing just started troubleshooting

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The gas is full. And last time I parked it, it was working fine.

7/29/2018
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 4 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

OkCall me for another 26 dollars?

Are you sure it is 4 and not 5 blinks? Check it again to be sure. And see the attached link for a copy of the Norcold Service Manual for this model. See that page on the error codes and their meanings. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/ncoldnnewnseries.pdf

Phone calls are optional and extra. Maybe not needed here yet.

4 blinks with a 4 second pause in between.

4 blinks is a power board failure. Kind of rare, but they do happen. The power board number is ***** the edge of the board. I would go with one from Dinosaur Electronics as they are superior to the OEM boards as long as they have one. If you have a 628661 board then don't make one for this.

My model number is *****

If that is the board number then Google that and see who has the best price. Same manual for all these models.

How hard is it to change?

You need a 1/4" nutdriver to remove the cover over the board. Pay strict attention to the wiring. Make a good diagram or mark them as this is easy to get wrong if you don't.

Easy to get the 4 wires in the lower left hand corner wrong. The white gas valve leads have no polarity and either terminal for those is fine. The positive 12 vDC and negative 12 vDC HAVE to be correct.

There’s no way to reset it?

Not with that code. Did you read the error codes and their meanings? 4 blinks is a power board failure.

THe 628661 is the one I have.

Then you have to stick to the OEM board for a replacement. Google that part number for a Norcold board and see who has the best price. Available many places.

eBay has one for 98. But I need it now.Probably see if I can pick one up at a camper place tomorrow.

Most every shop will have one.

Cool. I’ll be in Lafayette La. so it shouldn’t be hard to find.My outdoor kitchen frog should work while it’s hooked up to my truck right?

Just for the heck of it you might try unplugging each lead one at a time and see if that will clear it. I doubt it, but maybe. What is a "kitchen frog" here?

Kitchen Frig. Autocorrect got me.I hear it ticking. Now both are blinking

Not sure what all that means here.

Are you sure you have the correct DC voltage going into this?

Ok. I did what you said. Unplugged the ground and the hot wires. Plugged them back in and I could hear the board ticking. After a few seconds it stopped and now both the on light and the gas light are continually blinking.It’s plugged into my truck.

Look in the manual. Different error code.

All the lights are working. Although I did have a trailer fault on my brake controller when I plugged it in. Would that mean anything?

Looks like the first one. Are you sure the polarity is correct on this?

Do you have a battery in this trailer?

there is a battery. It was dead.

That won't help. I would correct that before you buy a new board.

The net result of that other error is still a new power board. See page 12.

Now the manual is saying the igniter May need to be cleaned.

I think the board is toast...…...

Ok. I will get a new board tomorrow.How can we leave the chat open to make sure it’s fixed?

Just respond back to again later. We have no time limits.

What’s the big red wire hooked into the capacitor looking piece on the board?

That is the ignition wire for the LP.

I forgot to plug it back in after I took the cover off. The igniter lit. It’s lit now. No lights are blinking yet.

Maybe you will luck out.

Got the camper to the camp site. Hooked everything up. The next day the freezer was cold. By that evening the frig was cold. Working fine.

Maybe low voltage or a bad connection! Great that it snapped out of that.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification