RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2018 keystone rv - hideout lhs. i just purchased…

Customer Question
I have a 2018...

I have a 2018 keystone rv - hideout lhs. i just purchased this rv brand new, and the refrigerator does not cool. I can hear no fan motor coming on.The electrical outlet I tested, and it has power. The propane switchover works.but the frig will still not cool. I checked the 3 amp bus fuse,and it has no break. Very frustrating.

Mechanic's Assistant: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?

Yes. i checked the main panel and all of the circuits are on and the fuses look to be okay

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your LHS yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, I am trying to troubleshoot

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes. when i purchased the unit the demonstrator went through all of the steps. Everything was working although i did not check the refrigerator to see if it was cold. i suspect the refrigerator was not working when i purchased the rv. i travelled 400 miles to get the rv home. is it possible that something during the trip could have damaged the unit or caused a wire to come loose? i have both exterior panels off. i moved the wires that were exposed. there seems to be a module of some sort where 5 wires are connected. that piece seems to have some rust. for your information the unit sat at the dealers lot for over a year before i purchased it new.

Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: RV
7/24/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 4 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

So you are saying the fridge turns ON, appears to be working but it is not cooling on BOTH LP or AC power?

How long have you tried to let it run?

ROBERT

no the frig does not turn on

What is the make and model of the fridge??

Robert

its a norcold. 2.7 cubic foot

Please give me a few mins to type a response. Robert

Please give me a few mins to type a response.

Robert

IF the interior light is off and the panel is not coming on then it sounds like the fridge has NO DC power going to it.

The fridge needs DC power to turn on and work. So the first step would be to see if you have DC voltage on the supply wires going into the circuit board. IF you have NO DC voltage then you have a blown fuse or wiring issue inside the RV.

IF you have voltage going to the circuit board it could be a blown fuse on the board. The board is located under the outside access panel and will have a plastic cover. On the board are some fuses, one fuse is for DC power or what allows the fridge to turn on, the other is the AC fuse. Unplug the cord from the socket and remove the cover and check the fuses.

IF the fuses are good and you have voltage there could be some high limit that is tripped in the circuit. I would need to know the model number of the fridge.

A RV fridge is different from a residential fridge, there are no moving parts and the only thing you might hear when it is in operation is a fan running and the LP flame going when on LP.

I understand this must be frustrating on a new unit. I would also call the dealer and see how they want you to proceed on this. They should be taking care of you and if there is an issue it should be covered under warranty.

IF you would still like my help get me the model number of the Norcold.

ROBERT

this is only a 2 stage unit propane and ac

YES I know all that. IN order for the fridge to come on and work it needs a constant 12 volt DC supply to run the board. I will not run on just LP or AC power WITHOUT the DC voltage powering the circuit board on the back of the fridge. IT needs good DC battery voltage to turn ON.

Robert

we have dual dc batteries that are fully charged, and the wire schematic in the back has no wires visible to the connections

What is the model of the fridge, should be a sticker inside the door with that info.

ROBERT

we are not at the site. the last model number i remember is 305

Click HERE for an owners manual, different fridge then I thought you had. That is why it is always important to get the right model, Norcold has dozens of new models and some are different from others. Look the manual over and if it still will not work I would contact the dealer and see if they have more input for you on this. Any issues should be covered under warranty.

IF you would like to try another expert on this please let me know. MY goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts. ROBERT