RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a Atwood GC10A-4E water heater. I found the DSI fault…

I have a Atwood...

I have a Atwood GC10A-4E water heater. I found the DSI fault light on this morning. Turn on and off and the light persists, will not light via propane either. Is it most likely the T-Stat?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Have two switches, one electric and one gas (both lighted) and a DSI Fault light above the switches

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2007 Monaco Diplomat

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Diplomat yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am repairing myself........just turning on and off

7/23/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 4 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

When you try and run it on propane can you hear the electrode sparking? IF needed go outside and pull the cover down and listen...

Robert

No it’s not sparking and the DSI-Fault light is still on

OK

Please give me a few mins to type a response...

Robert

Go to the outside access panel and remove the connector on the board, get a pencil eraser and clean the contacts on the board, sometimes this is a weak link, the contacts can get corroded. Next look for a brown wire, the brown wire will have a section with a plastic part over it, under the plastic is a diode, when that blows it will prevent the water heater from working, it is a thermal cut off and acts as a one time fuse. You should have continuity through and it should pass voltage to the board. Make sure it is not blown. IF that is good and you are getting NO spark at all it sounds like the board they do fail. Most RV stores/shops will have a special board tester and can tell if the board is bad or not. It would still spark if it was a thermostat issue. So it sounds like the thermal cut off (brown wire) or board is the issue on this.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me,

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating at the TOP of the page.

ROBERT

Hi...

Was just checking in to see if my answer helped?

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

ROBERT

Replaced both the thermodiscs and the board, had brown wire tested and it is fine.....still having issues with the water heater.

What issues are you still having did the DSI light ever go out and if so did the water heater start to spark?

Robert

It went out and it lit for a while, then came back onl.....for some reason when it come on neither has or electric works

OK

I am going to give you a service manual to look over. The switch provides voltage to the board, so if you have a volt meter or test light you can verify power is getting from the switch to the circuit board, from there you will have output voltage, click HERE see page 25 that should be your diagram. Yours uses a 12 volt relay for the AC heating element so you should have voltage going from the switch on the white wire and out on the yellow wire. IF you have voltage going into the board and nothing coming out the board is the issue. IF you have voltage on the yellow to the relay the relay or element is the problem.

For the gas side the only other item to replace is the electrode and gas valve. The gas pressure should be checked.

ROBERT

Robert.......Now there is water dripping from P&T relief valve? Is that indicative of something else going on?
is the water heater now working? The pressure relief may seep a little water but not be a constant drip. It is possible there is debris in the valve. You could try to open the valve a few times to clear any debris but be careful if the water is hot. If it is a constant drip I would replace. If you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a Star rating at the TOP of the page.
Well it is working on electric but the DSI light keeps coming so I don’t know......the drip has nothing to do with high or over temperature?.......The water seems to be really hot......I am satisfied with you.....you have helped as much as you can.
There is a preset t-stat and high limit that should sit flush on the tan under the outside access cover. The high limit would trip and the eco on the brown wire to prevent it from getting to hot. If the eco blew it would not spark that is the dioide looking thing on the brown wire, If you are satisfied with my efforts pleaser feel free to select a star rating on the page.
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic