RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Onan generator runs great for 20 - 30 minutes. Then shuts…

Onan generator runs great...

Onan generator runs great for 20 - 30 minutes. Then shuts off. Won't restart until it cools down.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your RV?

2006 Keystone Raptor rp3612

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '06 RV?

The generator is an Onan Marquis Gold 5500

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Marquis yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just purchased from private owner a few weeks ago. Had fresh oil change in it. Haven't done anything yet.

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your last oil change?

Oil change had just been done when we got it. Haven't needed the generator but will need it in a few weeks

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that's about it

7/22/2018
RV Mechanic: Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets replied 4 years ago
Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

1. What is the full model number of the genset?

2. While it is running, is it running smoothly, or is it surging?

3. When it shuts down, does it just shut down like someone turned it off, or does it start running rough/surging just before it shuts down?

5.5HGJAB-1038D
Runs smooth.
Shut down like someone turned it off.

Let's see what fault code is set in the controller.

Go to the genset and use the switch on the set itself.
Press 'Stop' 3 times within 5 seconds. The light in the switch will start flashing.
If the light flashes 3 times, pauses for 3 seconds, and flashes 3 more times, press and immediately release 'Stop' one more time.
This will put the controller into Fault Read Mode.
The light will flash (X) number of times, pause for 1 second, and flash for (X) number of times again. Count the flashes before and after the pause.
This will be the Fault Code.
Example: 2 rapid flashes, 1 second pause, 5 rapid flashes is a Fault Code 25.
There may be more than one Fault Code stored, so watch the light very carefully. If there is more than one code, it will display them all in order, and then start over again.

Be very careful not to misread a first level fault code (single digit code) as a second level fault code (double digit code).
The way to tell the difference is by the length of the pauses.
There is a 1 second pause between digits of a second level code, and a 3 second pause between codes.
For example, if it is flashing 2 times, 1 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a second level fault code of 22.
If it is flashing 2 times, 3 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a first level fault code of 2.

What Fault Code are you getting?
.

Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets
4 flashes then 7 flashes
Phone call session started

I am trying to call, but you are not answering.

***************