RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a Onan 5500 generator. It only runs while I am

Customer Question
I have a Onan...

I have a Onan 5500 generator. It only runs while I am holding the start switch. Once it starts, if I let up on the start switch, it immediately dies. It is also reporting a fault code of 35. According to the manual, this indicates the control board is bad and needs to be replaced. Is there any other cause? I just want to make sure before I spend the time and money to replace the control board.

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2008 Forrest River Fuzion 5th Wheel. Onan generator is model

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Onan generator is model 5.5HGJAB-1038D

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not a fuel problem. Fuel flows and looks good. Seems like the spark just stops as soon as I release the Start button after the generator starts running.

Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: RV
7/16/2018
RV Mechanic: Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets replied 4 years ago
Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

Unfortunately, a code 35 is only set when the controller is bad. The memory portion of the controller has become corrupt, and there is no way to repair it. The controller must be replaced.

I know that was not what you wanted to hear, but was it what you wanted to know?