RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My Ford V-10 has a loose steering problem. I have added sway…

My Ford V-10 has...

My Ford V-10 has a loose steering problem. I have added sway bars and a steering shock at an RV Repair Center. After buying new tires on our trip, the steering problem started over again. We have a Thor Daybreak 32' motorhome.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the tires? And have they been a problem in the past?

Brand new. We bought them in Utah and have now been to Yellowstone and Bozeman area, now back to Jackson Hole. Maybe 2000 miles at most.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '10 Ford?

2013 Ford V-10.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

We have not fixed it ourselves, but have always have Arizona RV in Mesa, AZ do the work.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing I can think of. I'm wondering if it is totally a Ford steering problem.

7/12/2018
Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

If all steering joints before and after the steering gear box are tight and there are no suspension joints lose. Then most likely it is slack within the gearbox, which is common. There is a meshload adjustment that can be done which may help it last longer before needing to be replaced.

You now will see a rating scale a row of yellow stars from bad to excellent, because I have posted my 1st full/partial answer. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Customer reply replied 10 days ago
This vehicle only had 13,000 miles on it when I purchased in Oct 2017. It now has about 18,000 miles. Is this something an individual can do on the road or do I need to find someone to handle this? What part of the world are you in?
Customer reply replied 10 days ago
Would you be available if I call you tomorrow around 9 AM Mountain Time? I am in Wyoming.

I am in TN.

The gearbox should not be worn out yet. We see wear start in the 30k range then around the 60k range it gets to the point most want it fixed.

At 18k I recommend having the things I mentioned checked but gearbox failure should not be happening yet. Is it possible you have to much weight on the rear of the vehicle and this is not allowing the front tires to carry enough weight at times?

You can pay for and request a call.

Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic
Customer reply replied 10 days ago
I will hit the call me button but if you can call tomorrow, I will be able to look under the hood to determine what you are talking about. Thanks.

Sounds good. I will accept the call now and you reply tomorrow when ready with your first name and when I log in we can get that call going.

Phone call session started

Gail, you opened a new post, that is why I had not noticed you were ready. Respond here when ready and I will call.

I have not heard back from you. Do I need to cancel the call?