RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have an Atwood G6A-8E water heater. I have replaced the…

Hello, I have an...

Hello, I have an Atwood G6A-8E water heater . I have replaced the circuit board, the t-stat and eco, and the gas control. It lights and runs for about five seconds and cuts off. I am a licensed plumber and I'm stumped.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

I'm talking about a water heater.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2000 Condor

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have replaced all parts on the Atwood G6A-8E water heater. It lights for about five seconds then goes out.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that's all thanks.

Answered in 1 minute by:
7/10/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 4 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

This one sounds like it could be a challenge with everything you replaced.

A few things I might look at. First is the LP pressure, need to make sure it is at 11.5" of water colmun, I understand if the other appliances are working but it should be verified with a manometer.

Also the electrode will sense the presence of flame and send a signal to the board to shut down if it does not see the flame, if you have not replaced the electrode I may try that, I do not see in your questions that was replaced.

Make sure nothing is obstructing the tank inside. Sometimes mud daubers can get inside the burn chamber and cause this type of issue. Blow out the intake and exhaust really good and make sure nothing is inside as the air flow is crucial.

Only other possible problem I can think of is if the power converter was putting out dirty voltage or AC ripple, the board does not like it. Sometimes that is possible with a faulty converter you really should see no more then 6 ac volts on the DC supply.

Hope this gives you some ideas to look at, if you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me. IF you do not have a service manual let me know and I can reply back with one.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating at the TOP of the page..... Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
It is a challenge. I replaced the circuit board the electrode came with the board. Then I replace the other parts. That was last year. It would light and run for about five minutes and then go out. I gave up and put an electric 6 gallon heater in a storage compartment and it works good but I wanted to get the gas one going so I recently purchased and installed the gas control. No it only runs 5 seconds. Thanks for your help.

IF you have it out then instead if air you should be able to flush the intake and exhaust out with water. I can not count the number of times mud daubers get inside and make nests and when that happens the unit will run for a short period and then shut down. I would make sure it is clear and clean to start.

Let me know if you need more help.

Thank you. Robert