RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a Model 6162 refrigerator in my 1995 travel trailer.

I have a Model...

I have a Model 6162 refrigerator in my 1995 travel trailer. Recently it has quit holding temperature. In fact, My wife and I went on a trip this last week and it would not hold below 60 degrees. What is the most likely cause?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you checked the coolant level?

This is a travel trailer not a motorhome. We bought it used and have only used it 5 times.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '95 RV?

Coachman MBN 25

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Overall the trailer is fine, just the refrigerator is not working properly. Yes I do most of the repairs and work needed myself.

7/7/2018
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Have you tried running it on BOTH LP and AC power?

Robert

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
I'm Richard

OK

Please give me a few mins to type a response.

Robert

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
I would like to continue to type. I have been typing for years so it is nearly as fast as talking.

This could be the cooling unit, this is a very old fridge and normally when you get NO cooling on BOTH LP and AC power the cooling unit is the problem.

If you want to know 100% what you can do is get an old lamp or extension cord and cut the female end off. Locate the AC heating element that is going into the flue canister, follow the wires back to the circuit board and disconnect them, wire nut the lamp or extension cord to the AC heating element and plug it in fridge can be off. After a few hours the box should be very cold. What you are doing is supplying a heating source for the fridge and bypassing all the controls, no cooling bad cooling unit.

A cooling unit can rupture or become blocked, for a rupture you might smell ammonia or see a yellowish powder on the back of the fridge, for a blockage you might not have any symptoms at all but NO cooling on BOTH LP and AC power. Sometimes taping the coils with a rubber mallet helps but no guaranties in doing that.

It might be time for an upgraded fridge, it will only put value back into the RV.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating at the TOP of the page..... ROBERT

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
When we got home yesterday we noticed that the back of the freezer was bulging and had ice covering about 1 sq foot of the back.

Make sure the door seals are good, if warm air was getting inside the box it would be an issue, get a dollar bill and shut it between the seals, it should not want to fall in any areas. IF the cooling unit was going out and the ammonia solution inside was not circulating it would get very hot and may cause what you are seeing. IT is very possible for the freezer section to be working but not the box with the cooling unit being bad.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic