RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My RV has no power from the house batteries, no power coming…

My RV has no...

My RV has no power from the house batteries, no power coming from the inverter and the generator is running

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

It’s consistent

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2001 Monaco Dynasty Chancellor

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Dynasty yourself? What have you tried so far?

While camping the sink leaked onto to the transfer box, I tried shutting off the main battery disconnects, shut off invertor and turned back on. We are new to RVing, everything was working fine at the campsite, we drove home from Colorado with no AIr Conditioning but had microwave & refrigerator power intermittently. Once Home no power at all

Answered in 1 minute by:
7/4/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 4 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

The power is split, AC power and DC power. The AC power is all your outlets, TV, microwave are they working? The DC power would be the lights, fridge furnace etc.

When you are plugged in or generator is running the inverter charges the batteries.

DO you have a volt meter? IF so need to know what the house battery voltage is.

Robert

Also when you are only on inverter the AC unit will not work, the generator would need to be running for that. The inverter will only power some outlets, fridge, microwave and TV's.

Really need a volt meter and to see what the battery voltage is and if the inverter is still charging them. Robert

I have a voltage meter. My question is the transfer switch is designed to allow generator and shore power to pass through. Why is that no happening? We have the generator running.

The incoming power on shore or generator passes through the Transfer switch and then branches out, some AC voltage goes to the main breaker panel for the AC units and the other AC power goes through the inverter. Check your inverter and make sure you do not have a breaker tripped on it, I am not sure if you checked that allready, most inverters will have one or two breakers on them. IF the DC voltage got to low the inverter also would shut down for protection so it does not drain the batteries all the way down.

IF you have good voltage at the batteries you should be getting your DC power. That is why I am asking what the battery voltage is. IF the battery voltage is over 12 volts and you have NO power to the lights then it could be a disconnect solenoid issue, it acts as a gate and allows the DC power to pass through.

I will give you a call in a few and might be able to point you in the right direction. Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Phone call session started

Just respond back to this if needed, I am around daily and respond WHEN I can.... Robert