RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

The water heater does not stay on enough to heat the water…

The water heater does...

The water heater does not stay on long enough to heat the water to temperature. I noticed the sides of the tank get hot, thus apparently opening the thermostat but this is well before the water gets hot. This is a 1990 motorhome that I recently purchased so am just now testing all the appliances.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

I wasn't aware coolant goes through this heater. I'm trying to operate the device without the motor running

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '90 RV?

Fleetwood Pace Arrow

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fleetwood yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've changed out the thermostat and ECO

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'm also wondering if there is an electrical element in it also. The RV manual says nothing about it and I don't see a switch to turn that on or off but when power Is hooked up to the rv it does seem to heat the tank. But I've disconnected power to the rv so that only the gas option would work and I'm having this problem

Answered in 1 minute by:
7/4/2018
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

What is the make and model of this water heater?

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Atwood G6A-6E
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
no thanks for now

If you are operating this on LP it can be that the working pressure is too low and the heat isn't there as a result. It can be from too much hard water deposits built up inside the tank. It might need a good cleaning. Or perhaps the bypass is on and that allow some mixing of the cold water into the hot and gives you the impression that it isn't really heating. Please see the attached link for a copy of the Atwood Service Manual. Print this out so you have it. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/atwoodwaterheater.pdf

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification