RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Our suburban sw6del hot water heater only provides luke warm…

Our suburban sw6del hot...

Our suburban sw6del hot water heater only provides luke warm water. Panel on the hot water heater talks about adjusting the temperature, but I cannot find anything around the hot water heater that can be adjusted.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

Coolant level in a hot water tank?

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Suburban?

2018 rv trailer

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just checking things out because we do not have very hot water, first time out with the trailer

Answered in 1 minute by:
7/3/2018
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 4 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

okay

That is usually caused by the bypass valve(s) being in the winterizing position. Check to see that they are all in the horizontal position. On the rear of the water heater in most cases. Let me know if you need more later as all follow ups are included in our one time fee. No time limits.

no, i switched off the bypass valvenow for some reason we have an alarm going off and cannot turn it off. not sure if the wind where are at blew out the pilot light. turned off the gas, but the alarm keeps going off

Only one? That would have to be on the bottom on the cold water line. The only other thing that causes this is a defective thermostat or too much hard water deposits in the tank. If the alarm is going off you have an LP leak (or so it thinks) and it shuts off the LP solenoid at the tank). Do you smell LP gas?

Did you use any cleaning chemicals along the floor? That can set this off.

no, do not smell gas, but turned gas off at the tanks

Something set that off. Low DC voltage can sometimes. Did anyone turn the batteries off?

alarm just went off, strong wind must have blew out the pilot light on water tank. fridge was on electric, so I think that was okay. batteries were not off. guess we will try the water heater on electric again, so we do not have the alarm issue. not sure what else we can do until we have less wind. panel at water heater says that the temperature can be adjusted but I could not find anything to adjust, do you know if the temperatures can be adjusted on rv water tanks?

Some water heaters have an adjustable thermostat. That is an option.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
okay, we must not have that option. we will call the trailer manufacture tomorrow to discuss, when we have cell coverage. Thanks for your help!

You are most welcome! You may return to this posting any time.