RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We have a 1987 Fleetwood bounder motorhome. Day before

We have a 1987...

We have a 1987 Fleetwood bounder motorhome. Day before yesterday our account and generator worked fine. Yesterday we tried to turn it on but there was NO power to the generator. As if that wasn't frustrating enough, we hooked the AC up to our portable gen and it still won't work. Everything else does, including our microwave which is on the same circuit as the AC. But no power to the account. What could this be?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Consistent

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fleetwood yourself? What have you tried so far?

We looked at all the fuses, and everything looks fine. No breakers were switched off.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, I think that's all.

7/1/2018
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Is the generator not coming on or turning over or it just won't provide any AC power?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
It is not even trying to turn over. There is no power whatsoever

Any chance that someone turned off the battery disconnect switch? That is the most common cause of this. Check that.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Where would that be located. Interesting because I pulled the house batteries to charge them. It worked fine when I put the first two in. But after I put the third in, that's when it stopped working.

Maybe you got one in wrong and tripped something. But you do have to reset the battery disconnect switch whenever power is removed. Can you attach a photo of the wiring hookups?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
We got it.�� Banged it with a wrench.....it started.

Super! Thanks for letting me know. Got to love those wrenches that substitute as hammers.

Maybe clean the ground lead from there to the chassis. May have a bit of corrosion there that would affect this.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification