RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Can’t find the GFCI plug with a reset button. All GFCI plugs…

Can’t find the GFCI...

Can’t find the GFCI plug with a reset button. All GFCI plugs not working. Have 2006 Keystone Laredo 28RL. I have checked the outside plug, the vacuum plug, the kitchen plugs and the bathroom plug. All dead and none have a reset button. The circuit breaker appears to be in the correct on position as well. Is there a hidden GFCI plug with the reset button or is my circuit breaker possibly bad? I have 2 plugs in the kitchen, one plug in the bathroom, one plug on the outside of the trailer and one plug for the vacuum (which appears to be GFCI but isn’t labeled). Any advice?

Mechanic's Assistant: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Do you know what they look like?

I know of the one in the kitchen below the oven which has fuses and the circuit breakers, the inverter I think it is called.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '06 RV?

Not sure let me look

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Don’t know the model number. Would it be on the unit somewhere

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I’m trying the simple things like finding the GFCI reset button or resetting any circuit breakers or changing fuses to get the plugs working first but will not attempt electrical work myself. The plugs stopped working when we were connected to a external generator and the air conditioner came on

6/30/2018
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 4 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

If you have checked all the service breakers in the load center, then the GFCI outlets are the next most likely spot. Usually one in the bathroom area and one in the kitchen area. If the button won't allow it to reset, then it may be damaged and need replacing. Testing it with a small digital multimeter can tell you that. Was this an on board generator or not? Back on shore power now?

The problem is none of the GFCI plugs have a reset button. Can’t find a single plug with a reset button

They have to be there someplace. All GFCI plugs have a reset. They do wire up additional plugs on those circuits that are controlled by that as well. If that trips they all go out.

The actual GFCI plug may be one you never use someplace. Any inverter/charger in this? If you do, then those have a breaker on them as well.

The is a power converter below the oven. Please forgive my ignorance but I’m not sure if the inverter is a part of that panel. I removed the cover and don’t see any plugs. It’s very perplexing not to find this plug.I have opened every panel inside and out and can’t find another GFCI plug. I don’t have a manual that shows the electrical layout of this unit to show me where all the plugs are.

Yes, it can be. In the shop we have to hunt for them as well. They can be any place. The microwave plug is sometimes a GFCI outlet as is the fridge. Look under the sink for in the cabinets or on the bed pedestal. If you have a converter then you won't have an inverter/charger. And Keystone has no diagrams or at least never releases them. Sucks for sure!

The fridge is working so I’m pretty sure that plug is not GFCI. Would that be a correct assumption?Well thanks for your help. I’ll have to take it in.

Yes. That would be correct. That kind of sucks, but they can hide these pretty well sometimes. And you are most welcome!

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification