RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a Dometic refrigerator model DM2862 that has been…

I have a Dometic...

I have a Dometic refrigerator model DM2862 that has been working fine until I had a major electrical issue on Sunday. Long story short my GFI get tripping so I held the reset button in. It ended up frying my microwave, two household fans, a swamp cooler and

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model/year of your RV?

Sorry, wasn’t finished typing. Also fried the power converter. .ive replaced the converter and everything seemed to be fine. My fridge indicates it’s working on AC and gas but it is not cooling at all. I’ve checked the breaker and fuse panel and they are good. I ne’er to trouble shoot the rear of the refrigerator. But don’t know where to start. I have a 2011 Keystone Cougar model 327RES.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the manual yet? Most vehicles have two fuse panels.

Yes, the manual for the refrigerator indicates there are two fuses in the rear of the refrigerator but I can’t seem to find them. I think they are covered with a black plastic cover but I can’t get it opened.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

2011

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I’m trying to fix it. The gas lights but doesn’t seem to cool. I am going

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Other than frying other appliances by overriding the GFI. He’d probably needs to know that.

6/28/2018
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 4 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Ok.

Go outside and open up the outside inspection cover and tell me if there is any yellowish debris around the base of the burner area? Flue cylinder hot or not?

It’s hot and working fine on gas mode. It’s running right now. No debris near burner. I tested the electrical outlet and it is fineI have unplugged the power cord.

Working and just not cooling? Is the fridge level?

Fridge is level and has been in the same spot for over a month. The fridge is cooling on gas mode.I think I may have fried something electrical along with my microwave by overriding my GFI. BUT inside fuses and breaker to fridge are fine. The owners manual says there are two other fuses behind the fridge. I think a 5 and 3 amp fuses. Not sure how or where to access them. There’s a black plastic cover over the wiring area that I can’t seem to open.

Take the small phillips screw out on top and then insert a small flat blade screwdriver into the slot on the side and push the handle towards the middle of the board. It will pop off.

Ok. Got it. There are two glass tube type fuses that appear to be fine.

A meter is the only way to tell for sure. We can't check this out without one and most hardware stores sell them for about $20 or so.

I think my neighbor has one. I’ll check.my neighbor is here and has a meter

Check to see if there is AC power through the fuse and to the heating element at the connections. Ohm out the heating element. Is should be about 45 ohms.

I don’t know what setting in the meter is for ohms

Put it on the smallest ohms scale. Upside down horseshoe symbol

Disconnect the leads first.

Ok. One is 2M and lowest is 200. Which should I put the meter on.would I use both black and red probes

200. Yes.

One fuse shows 3.2 to 4.0. The other is 0.0 to0.01

I thought you were ohming out the heating element? On the fuses you are looking for voltage. 12 VDC on the DC fuse and 120 VAC on the AC fuse. We need to have a phone chat of this will take forever.

Ok. (###) ###-####Can you call me. (###) ###-####

You can hit the accept on the phone chat and I can.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Phone call session started
I get no readings at all on the AC sides of large fuse. Small fuse was 1342 and 1345

No. The DC fuse has to read about 12 to 13 VDC. The large fuse has to read about 120 VAC. You have the meter set wrong.

I thought the 13 was in the margin of error for DC. I had the meter set correctly for VAC and got no readings in either side.
I checked the VAC on the heater element connections. There are two. One reads 120 volts. The other has 0 Volts.I cannot call you. It sends me to an automated answering that advises to post my question here.

No period appeared in those readings. If those were 13.45 then yes. Both elements have to read the same voltage. Do you have that reading coming out to that element? What does it ohm out?

on the small fuse. The large fuse had no reading on VAC both ends of fuse. The heater element had no ohms and 120 volt reading on only one of the two output leads. The other had no volts.I’m thinking I’ll need a new board and heating element to fix the problem.

Perhaps, if you are right on the testing. I would go with one from Dinusaur Electronics as they are a higher quality and have an outstanding warranty.

Great. I will order from them. Thank you for your help.

You are most welcome! Get back to me if you need more later.

Will do. Thanks.

10-4