RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2018 Jayco Redhawk 22J motorhome that has had major…

I have a 2018 Jayco...
I have a 2018 Jayco Redhawk 22J motorhome that has had major electrical issues since new. First the truck battery would go dead while hooked up to shore power. The dealer said a ground cable had been connected to the positive side of the battery. Next the generator failed due to cables in the wrong location. It worked prior to the truck battery repair. This RV has a main power switch which has an indicator light on it. The light slowly fades from bright to off over a period of 10 seconds. I believe this indicates current feed back. Do you agree and do you think this can be repaired?
6/28/2018
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 4 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

OK, What do you need?

Anything can be repaired. Have you had the batteries load tested to be sure they are viable? Was the problem with the charge lead from the truck repaired? If that was hooked up wrong it should have blown a fuse in the truck. Reverse charging of the batteries usually ruins them. Start there and get that resolved and we can go from there. All follow ups are included in our one time fee.

The truck battery issue has been resolved. They did say it blew a fuse. There has been no issues since

So does the generator work properly now? And what exactly in the coach isn't working?

Here is the mechanic's notes on the battery issue: Verified concern. traced problem to ground wire connected to positive terminal of house battery. Corrected wiring and replaced fuse. The generator worked before this service call. After receiving the motorhome back, the generator was dead. No power to the switch on the control panel or at the generator itself. Second trip to dealer and the mechanic's notes read: Generator would not work because there was a cable in the wrong position. Switched cables. Tested OK. The generator has worked since.
After that the A/C started tripping a 20 amp breaker. I believe the motor driving the refrigerant compressor failed possibly due to prior electrical issues. Everything in the coach seems to be working now. I am concerned that the main power switch to the coach is indicating more electrical issues. It has an indicator light that show when the power is on. The light used to go right out when the switch was flipped off. Now the light slowly fades from bright to off over a period of 10 seconds. Obviously the current to the indicator light is still there after the switch is turned off slowly go from full voltage to no voltage over the course of 10 seconds. I checked 6 new coaches on the dealer's lot and they all went out immediately. What does this mean and how do you fix it?

When you say "Power switch" is this the 120 VAC side or the 12 VDC side?

I believe it is mostly on the 12 volt side. It turns off all of the lights, the refrigerator, water pump, water heater etc. I never checked to see if the 110 outlets would work if hooked up to shore power or the generator running.

Check the converter and see what the output is. It should be about 13.7 VDC. What is the make and model?

I am at work and the motorhome is at my home. I will have to get back to you.

No problem. I am here every day. 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. Pacific

I measured the voltage at the battery at 12.69. I then plugged in the 110 volt cord and had 13.66 volts at the battery. I was unable to locate the converter. It is probably in the wall behind a cover somewhere. Also the info that came with the rv had no manufacturer's info. The manual describes the main power switch as a momentary switch which controls a solenoid which connects or disconnects the house battery to all accessories connected to the 12 volt fuse panel.

It may be integal with the load center or if not, close by.

The battery disconnect switch is usually by the door or on the overhead by the door. Rocker style switch.

the battery disconnect switch is just inside the door. It is a rocker style momentary switch. It is labeled "Main Power"

If that is "On" and the light is off the batteries won't supply power to the coach without shore power being on.

The indicator light is on, when the switch is on, whether it is the coach battery, generator, or shore power supplying the power. When this switch is switched off, the indicator light slowly fades from bright to off over a 10 second period. This happens with the coach battery, generator, or shore power supplying the power. I checked 6 RVs on the dealer's lot and on each one of them the light went out immediately when the switch was switched to off. It appears to me, there is current back feeding to the switch which needs repaired.

Or the battery disconnect solenoid is bad. I would start there. This is a common problem as these age, but it can happen even to new ones. And clean the ground lead from the batteries to the chassis. This should be under warranty. Can't get into the dealer?

I am waiting for the dealer to set a time to bring it in. Thanks for your help.

You are most welcome! Please get back to me if you need more.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification