RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We have a 2016 Cougar with Dometic fridge. Works great on…

We have a 2016...

We have a 2016 Cougar with Dometic fridge. Works great on A/C, but not on Propane. Opened the unit to see how the gas flows. Did not see a flame, but heard the roar. Thoughts?

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Same

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cougar yourself? What have you tried so far?

Myself and this is the first thing we tried. we thought we would see if there was obstruction.

6/23/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 4 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

What is the model number of the Dometic?

would that be on the plate somewhere?

Should be on a sticker inside the door, most Dometics start with a DM or RM and then number.

Robert

DM2852LBX

OK.... And are you sure you removed the correct panel to inspect the flame, want to make sure you did not remove the water heater panel or something like that, if the flame is going strong the box should be cooling off. Click HERE and see page 14, you can remove the protection cover and make sure the flame is going. Normally if the flame does not light off you will get a check light on the display. I just want to be 100% sure you have the flame going. Also it will take a good 4 hours for the box to cool off.

That is the panel we took off. Twice we went camping and the fridge died on us and we lost food.We cooled it off more than four hours

OK.....

IF the flame is going it should be cooling off. What you can try is to disconnect the thermistor and let it run. Under that access panel you will see a circuit board. On the board is a 2 wire connector, it is below a six wire connector, unplug that and let the fridge run for a few hours, when you disconnect the thermistor the fridge should default to FULL cooling, if the box gets cold I would replace the thermistor. You can see it on the diagrams as well going into the board.

The next step would be to have the LP pressure checked, it is crucial for the fridge to work properly having the correct pressure, I understand if other items are working but anytime it cools on AC power and not LP the pressure should be verified. Most RV shops have a manometer and can check the pressure, it is a 30 min check.

I might also get an sir nozzle and blow out the flue really good make sure it is not obstructed.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating at the TOP of the page.... Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
ok. thank you. i'll try these things.

10-4 let me know if you still need more help, I am around daily and respond WHEN I can.... Robert