RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Our Arctic Fox keeps tripping the breaker when hooked up to…

Our Arctic Fox keeps...

Our Arctic Fox keeps tripping the breaker when hooked up to our garage outlet.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Fox?

2015

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fox yourself? What have you tried so far?

We have just tried to reset the breaker but it keeps tripping

6/13/2018
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 4 years ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Is this on a 15 or 20 amp GFCI outlet with an adapter?

Hi Randall

It is on a 20 amp with an adapter. My husband can turn off the 30 amp main breaker in the camper, than he hooks up the cord and it doesn't trip the breaker until he turns on the main breaker in the camper it trips the garage GFI breaker.

This is supposed to be hooked up to a dedicated 30 amp breaker and not on a GFCI outlet. There can be any number of things causing this to trip. A short or partial grounding in the converter or the water heater element are two of the most common. Turn on the main breaker and all the others off. Does it trip or not? If not, turn them on one at a time and see which one causes it to trip. Follow that circuit. I have to take break here for about 20 minutes for dinner.

My husband left to get an adapter. It is possible that this one is bad.

Maybe, but not the most common cause.

That fixed the problem. Thank you for your time.

Glad it was something simple. And you are most welcome! Best to invest in a 30 amp dedicated RV outlet here. This will keep you from having problems.

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification