RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

The unit welln't work when I turn on Auto, but if I turn the…

The unit welln't work...

The unit welln't work when I turn on Auto, but if I turn the auto off the gas will come the freezer iscool it is getting down to 32 but the lower part hasn't started to cool I am going leave over night to see what happen. the model

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

This a 5th wheel trailer

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your RV?

I want back to the first gene ,RV Mechanic this the refrigerator Dometic Model # RM2852

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your RV?

2007

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Iam looking for informatiom about refrigerator the Model RM2852

Answered in 1 minute by:
6/7/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 4 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

So when you are in Auto the fridge should be running on AC power, is that not happening? IF you loose the AC power it should default to gas.

IS it defaulting to gas? OR it is not appearing to cool on AC mode?

Thanks, Robert

JUst post your answer or cancel the hold thingIt is not ac it act like it is on gas

In order to help you I need to know if you are having the same symptoms on BOTH LP and AC power.

IF you have the same results on AC and LP power then it could be a bad thermistor, cooling unit, door seals etc. When you troubleshoot these it is a process of elimination.

The freezer will always get cold long before the box will. It will take a good 4-6 hours for the box to cool down.

IF the box does not cool down I would unplug the thermistor. The thermistor will plug into the circuit board under the outside access cover, it will be a two wire connector and if you pull the cover off the board it will be marked P-2. When you unplug that the fridge should go into a FULL cooling cycle, if the fridge cools off then the thermistor needs to be replaced.

Check the door seals as well, get a dollar bill and shut it between the seals, it should not want to fall in any areas, if so then it is just an area warm air is getting in which affects how cold the box can get.

Finally the cooling unit could be the issue, just because the freezer is getting cold does not mean there is an issue with the cooling unit. A cooling can rupture or become blocked, for a blockage you might smell ammonia or see a yellowish powder on the back of the fridge. For a blockage you may not have any symptoms at all but NO cooling in the box on BOTH LP and AC power.

I also want to point out on AC mode you would not hear anything at all, the heating source is a AC heating element that goes into the flue canister, that area should be VERY hot after 1 hour or so on AC power.

I hope this helps you out.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the TOP of the page.

ROBERT

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic