RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We just installed a new Dometic RM1350 refrigerator in our…

We just installed a...

We just installed a new Dometic RM1350 refrigerator in our RV about 60 days ago (We replaced the old one with the exact same model) and last night the unit switched to LP on its own. We had no electrical failure or any reason that would support the unit switching to LP. The unit now stays in the LP mode and both the "Auto " and the "LP" lights are on. The units is running and we can hear the fan motors run and everything is on, but the LP light stays on indicating the the unity is running in the LP mode . . . Can you help us figure this out?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

The "Auto" and "LP" indicator lights on the unit information panel located at the top of the refrigerator on the upper right side . . .

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '60 RV?

It is a Thor Redwood 5th wheel . . .

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, for the moment, the unit was installed by a licensed Dometic service company, we have called them and are awaiting their response, but we are leaving to go on a short vacation tomorrow and we need to try and get this matter addressed now if possible . . . I have followed the troubleshooting schedule and I have reset the refrigerator several time by turning it on and off when the problem first occurred. At that time the display was switching from LP to Temp, and that fixed the problem at that time. But since then the unit does not want to seem to run on auto alone (only on LP)

Answered in 1 minute by:
6/5/2018
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 4 years ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please give me a few mins to type a detailed response...

Robert

So the fridge will sense the AC power and if it does not see the AC power it will default to LP, once the AC power is restored then it should switch back.

So the first thing to do is to make sure the outlet the fridge is plugged into has power. The fridge actually turns on with DC power and the outlet is AC power. So make sure the outlet has power. IF the outlet has power leave the cord unplugged. Under the outside access panel you will see a circuit board, it will have a bunch of wires going to it and a removable cover. On the board are some fuses, one for the DC side or what allows the fridge to turn on and one for the AC side or what allows it to work on AC power, if that fuse was blown it would default to LP.

Need to make sure it is unplugged from the outlet, you do not want to touch the AC fuse with it plugged in.

If the outlet has power, the fuse is NOT blown then it could be a circuit board issue.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the TOP of the page...

ROBERT

I checked the fuse earlier this morning, unplugged the unit and looked at all of the fuses . Everything is in working order, fuses are all good, and there is power to the refrigerator in the AC mode, not sure how to check the DC mode?

IF you are in AUTO and it is NOT running on AC power and the outlet is good and the fuse on the board it sounds like a bad relay which is part of the board. I would contact who did the install and see about warranty. It is not going to be a simple fix if the outlet has power and the fuse on the board is good, it should be working on AC power plugged in.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Phone call session started
Call me