RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Suburban SW6D sparks but wont light. Gas is fine everywhere…

Customer Question
Suburban SW6D sparks but...

Suburban SW6D sparks but wont light. Gas is fine everywhere else. How do I check Gas valve and/or electronics?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Not lights, its a water heather that wont "ignite" after sparking.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Suburban?

Its not quite a year old. Its installed in a remote, off grid cabin.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?

Ive checked that it's running through the proper ignition sequence and Ive checked that the gas is the correct pressure. It seems to me that the gas valve isn't working.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just that the water heater is 20 miles from me right now. No internet access at the cabin.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: RV
5/30/2018
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 2 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

The LP regulator may need to have the pressure adjusted OR you may have to bug debis in the burner tube. Those are the two main things that would cause this. Unlikely that the gas valve went bad. Or perhaps cleaning the contacts on the plug for the control board may help. Again, unlikely that it went bad just sitting there. Always good to have a spare.

What do you need?
I will check for debris in the burner tube and also check the orifice. How do I check the gas valve, Im sure the regulator is fine.

The pressure drops every year. It should be checked at least once a year. You can check the gas valve with a small digital multimeter and see if that works. I can supply a manual once I get to my computer.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to resolve this issue? And see the attached link for the Suburban Service Manual. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/subsw.pdf